My son has little red pimple-like bumps on his face, near his nose and mouth. What could it be?

He only had a few on one side, now it's several on both sides, and they appear to have like tiny whiteheads. They're only on that part of his face and nowhere else on his body. Should I call a doc or keep putting lotion on them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has the same little bumps you described and he was diagnosed with Keratosis Pilaris by his pediatrician.

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 12:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My nephew had that and then some appeared on one of my kids. Turned out to be impetigo. Weird.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 10:16 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Sorry forgot to include, they needed anitbiotics. it's an infection picked up at the lovely place we call school. lol
    heatheryn

• OP here - is it possible to just randomly get it? I'm a SAHM and we don't really go anywhere.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• OP again - just googled images of impetigo, doesn't look like what my son has at all, unless it starts out like this. The bumps are small like a pinhead, if not smaller.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• is he teething? when ds (11 months) gets a tooth, and i mean everytime a tooth comes in its telltale signs: diarrhea and a rash all around his mouth. since you posted in the 1-2 yr old category, if he's close to 2 he could be getting molars, which you dont see coming in unless you inspect the back of his mouth of course.  other than that, i'm not real sure.

AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• He's closer to two and a half, actually. I don't see any new teeth, hell, he didn't even act bothered when the molars came in. But definitely a good idea, thanks just the same!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• milk bumps, allergy bumps
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• It sounds like a food allergy. Food allergies can be super tricky to figure out without seeing an allergist and getting tested. And they can be allergic to anything, not just milk or eggs. For example, I'm allergic to oats, apples, bananas, fish, beans, soy, and pork.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:52 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Oh, another common food allergy symptom is a runny nose that doesn't start until they eat. If he has no runny nose, then develops one while he's eating pay close attention to what he's eating.

If it gets bad he can have 1/4 teaspoon of chidlren's liquid Zyrtec to calm the reaction until you can see an allergist...a regular pediatrician is no help at all with food allergies.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2009