bottle

My 14 month old is still on a bottle sort of. he dont take one all the time, he just has to have one in his bed with him in order to fall asleep. do you think he is too old for a bottle is your child still on one too??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he's too old.. my dd was off a bottle at 10 months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• 14 months is actually too old for a bottle and he really should never be sleeping with one in his bed. It's really bad for his teeth. Start by giving him the bottle before bed only, but don't leave it with him in his bed. Then after he is used to that, cut the bottle out entirely. Only use sippy, straw or regular cups from then on. Hope that helps. Good Luck~
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 10:30 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• call me a bad mom, my son is almost 2 and gets a bottle of water everynight. You're his mom, but it is bad on teeth to have things like milk and juice sitting in his mouth overnight I'm trying to get him off of water even, but it helps him get to sleep
    katimae

Answer by katimae at 10:51 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• He's not too old. My son still had a bottle of water at night at 3. He finally told me one night that bottles are for babies and threw it away.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• If they can drink from a sippy cup, they do NOT need the bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• i wouldn't do it, my cousin gave a sippy with the soft tip to her son till he was three and his teeth had to be yanked bc they were so decayed. and she's one of those "i don't give my son a pacifier" kind of moms. hahaha
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I dont know my son was on the bottle til 16 months.. but it was hard to get him off then, i wished I would have tried earlier. plus they shoul;dn't have them in their beds with them or at night anymore anyway for tooth decay
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• i know its a bad habit, and all kids are different, but ya i agree with his teeth going to be rotton, just give him a drink of water in a sippy cup and brush his teeth b4 bed, eventually he will get used of not having anything at bed time, yes, he might cry, but it will eventully stop too. i did this with my kids, may not work with yours, but i hope it helped. My dd is now 18 months and is no longer on a bottle, she drinks from a sippy at meal times and snack time. just remember the brush their teeth lots too. :-)

Icpjuggalette

Answer by Icpjuggalette at 2:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My son is 13 months and still has a bottle when he goes to sleep. I disagree that having a bottle in bed is any worse then him drinking it anywhere else. The milk/juice lingers in the mouth just as much when he's awake as when he's going to sleep. I cannot believe that his teeth will become any worse either way. Anyhow. I think that if you feel he's too old for the bottle then it's time to start weaning him. I think that he should at least be at sippy cup stage by now. I can't say that my son is as he refuses to drink from the sippy cup. He drinks from an adult cup during the day, but as you can imagine that wouldn't work so well for bedtime. Just decide based on your feelings and your child whether they're ready or not. Experiement and see if he can fall asleep without on and try giving him a bottle before he actually gets put in bed.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:07 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I put him to bed with a bottle of water, this morning not much of that water was gone and not a problem during the night either, this might be easier than I thought,, thanks ladies!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Nov. 7, 2009