Oral surgery-transitioning to harder foods

Yesterday, I had 3 teeth removed (2 wisdom and a molar) and was under IV sedation. I am still eating soft foods. If you've had this procedure done, how long was it until you were able to eat regular foods again? I'm hungry and this soft food diet isn't cutting it! LOL

MamaCeleste0722

Asked by MamaCeleste0722 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Health

• I got all 4 wisdom teeth out at one time. My jaw hurt so bad that I didn't even eat at all for 3 days. I couldn't open my mouth up far enough to get food in and chew. I had to cut up chicken like I would have for my 8 month old baby. It took me like 3 weeks to be able to eat normally. Yours probably won't be as bad since you didn't have all that done
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 10:37 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I had oral surgery(had a cyst under my jaw and 2 back teeth removed) a few years ago and my surgery was on a thursday and I was eating "normal"(ham & mashed potatoes if i remember correctly) foods by saturday of the same week rather gingerly but still eating solids but everyone is different. . Not sure if you have pain/swelling but a frozen bag of veggies works the best for comforming to your face. feel Better.
    Anonymous

• Just a couple of days, then I ate whatever I was comfortable with. Mine were all on one side so I could chew on the other but it is really up to you. They just don't want you drinking out of a straw for a week I think because the sucking may dislodge any clotting where the teeth were taken out.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• When I had my wisdom teeth removed (all 4 at once) the doc told me to eat at my own pace. Careful with your pain meds and certain foods. Sometimes you can't have citrus. If your pain meds cause you to vomit, this can rip your stitches or cause dry socket.

I would try to hold out as far as food. Bothering the healing process can cause you longer recovery.

Cheddar mashed sweet potatoes
    rice pudding
    butternut squash soup
    cheese cake without the crust
    ice cream
    milk shakes (no straw)
    cheesy creamed spinach

i tried to eat grits, bad plan, got stuck
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:41 PM on Nov. 6, 2009