"shout out" really?

In his first news confrence after 12 people were murdered Obama feels the need to begin his remarks by giving someone a "shout out". Really? I watched this confrence yesterday to find out more information on what happened only to have to wait for him to finish thanking his staffers, give a shout out and then go on and on and the plight of Native Americans. While I realize there are issues there maybe something that could have waited? Do you think this shows a lack of experience in him and in his handlers? I find it very disrespectful.

I am sure someone will bring Bush into this, but I would like to remind you that many found that response wrong too. and this is a question about Obama and now.Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• i did find it odd. i think maybe the news cut into his conference at the wrong time. if you were speaking to a group of people you would address them first, and i believe that was what he was doing. im not sure this is just what i speculate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Figures. Is anyone really surprised for crying out loud. He is a show man not a leader.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I thought this was SO bizzare. And then it seemed to take FOREVER for him to get to the Ft Hood massacre! I had no idea what he was talking about. And did you notice how upbeat and HAPPY he was for the first few minutes!? HEY MR PRESIDENT 12 PEOPLE ARE DEAD....maybe not the best time to be so jovial.....MAYBE you could skip the silliness? Just a thought. A Weird news conference all in all.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• It pissed me off!!! The news was announcing BO response to the shootings and led you to believe that was the ONLY reason he was broadcasting. He just had to give kudos to "his people" and his little shout out first as OP said. He then proceeded to um um um his way thru his "concern" for the military. What little respect I had for him, which was .00000001, is now gone.
    rotPferd

Answer by rotPferd at 10:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I don't know the protocol on this type of thing, but I saw the same thing and found it a bit offensive. I would imagine that if I were in his position (which is nothing I would want), I would address the tragedy that was unfolding in TX and the senseless murders of the fallen that sign up to fight for liberty at home and abroad. But that's just me. I understand the acknowledgement to the native Americans he had met with, but I feel the priority setting was where it went wrong. At least IMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• He was already speaking at the Native American Conference(or whatever it was called) and was to address the situation at Ft Hood following that. They apparently, from what everyone is complaining about, cut in a little early. He was not being disrespectful or going on and on about something non related... he was speaking on the topic of which he was there to speak. I am sorry there are soooo many of you out there that don't like him, but don't take it out on him for doing what he intended to do in the first place,addressing the people he was supposed to speak to and then doing what he said he would do after, which was indeed address the situation at Ft.Hood. You don't have to like the guy... but how about a little respect... or at least respect the position he's in. He is our President after all, like it or not.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 10:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I don't like that he is president. I don't have to give him respect. I would prefer if he had enough respect for the men and women that follow his orders that he would have addressed the tragic events that were effecting them at that very moment in time. Giving a "shout out" was inappropriate. They didn't cut in early. He came out to the podium, and thanked his buddies - gave a shout out, and last he addressed the Ft Hood event. A strong leader would have addressed the men and women that follow his orders first. His inexperience is overwhelming.

By the way, in my book you get respect when you give it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• " I would prefer if he had enough respect for the men and women that follow his orders that he would have addressed the tragic events that were effecting them at that very moment in time. "

what she said.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:13 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I didn't like the fact that he hoped we all prayed for the family..or keep them in our prayers or something like that. Whatever happened to separation of church and state?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:15 AM on Nov. 6, 2009