how can I get my 5 year old to listen to me, teachers, etc?

Jocie is very independant and we have been having a really hard time with her not listening. She does not have a hearing problem, that has been tested, she just tunes us out especially her dad because he has a very short temper. I try to get him to talk but most of the time doesn't happen. I have tried explaining to her that it is rude not to listen that we listen to her when she wants something but I am at the end of my rope. Please help.

mrspooch

Asked by mrspooch at 10:33 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is your child ADD/ ADHD?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Try having her repeat what is being told to her and have her and the adult use direct eye to eye contact.
    AngeliaG

Answer by AngeliaG at 11:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Why do you think she is not listening? Children are very good at multitasking, so they can play and listen. Sometimes they need warnings before an activity is going to change. It must suck to be a kid and have no say as to what is happening. Sounds like dad needs more help than daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Nov. 7, 2009