How do other sahm deal with the issue of loneliness if your husband has to sometimes work away from home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• I have been reading a lot at night. My Hubby and I talk off and on all day. With his job he has a lot of freedom to call home, or I can just pick up the phone if I need him. He's gone a month at a time and it gets harder at night so that's when I read. I stay busy with our house, kids, dogs, school. I don't work outside our home but I work in the yard, paint, etc.. I'm also a room Mom at school so I'm always helping out. You just have to keep busy. I hate it that he's gone, but I appreciate everything he does to give us an awesome life.. I also have to be strong for him.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• man.. i couldnthandle my husband being away .. i lean on him so much.. but before he got his new job he worked swing shift for 2 years and i say him maybe 2 hours a week other than that hes sleeping,,, i filed for divorce and lived seperated for 2 months and couldnt go on with life.. he moved home and got a new job.. and since life has been great..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 10:48 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• my sis in law goes to the mops group..visit mommy and me .com spaced it so the wouldnt delete me..its one word..type in your zip and find moms near you..its great support system
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My hubby was a lineman for a year. He then got out of it b/c he wanted to be home with my son and I more b/c he felt like he was missing everything with our son and not to mention I was going through a difficult time b/c I had just lost my grandmother who practically raised me and my sister. Needless to say he went back to it September of last year. He got laid off in July and went to work for a cable company and now is leaving for Connecticut soon. Anywhere from a couple of weeks to 2 1/2 months.They will fly him home for Thanksgiving. Hoping he won't have to stay long b/c Christmas and New Years are mandatory holidays with the company he works for. Seems like it would cost them more in travel costs and hotel expenses. I've dealt with it before. I just don't want him to miss our daughter's first bday party which is on NOV 14th. May not have to leave until day after Thanksgiving. Let's hope so.
    H3arToFDiXi3

Answer by H3arToFDiXi3 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Nights are what is hardest for me also. I'm the one who posted the question. Didn't mean to submit anonymously. But it seems that I do okay throughout the day. It's at night when it gets to me. U know, after the kids are down to sleep for the night. The house is quiet and it seems like all I wanna do is cry. I hate being lonely. I stay busy during the day, but it's the quiet times that get me. I can't even sleep in our bed when he's gone. It bothers me too bad. I sleep on the couch in the living room. I'm not miserable, but just miss him and can't stand being away from him. I don't like to go out b/c it seems like all of the couples I know is just a reminder of his absence and found it's easier to stay at home with my babies. They keep me positive and upbeat during the daylight hours at least. I just am dreading this feeling all over again.
    H3arToFDiXi3

Answer by H3arToFDiXi3 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• my hubby is away all the time he sometimes gets to come home for a week during the summer and a day or so around the holidays..i have done this my whole life since my father does the same kind of work im used to it..not to mention my mother does this work also they travel together...so pretty much I come and go as i please i do talk to him at night and if able to several times a day...to make things harder this time im preggo with our first baby lol...the first yr was pretty hard, i do get to travel some during spring break and go see them wherever they are..its not always bad just sometimes...and when we both have had enough say every two months or so he tries to come and see me one weekend...good luck
    Anonymous

• When my dh was deployed I went through that for awhile, but I learned to read till I dropped and that kept me alright at night until I got used to it.
    lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 6:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My DH travels occasionally and for me it's not so bad. I just look at the night time as being extra alone time. Having him here is great, of coarse, but it's also nice having the evening to do whatever I want. I don't like going out either when he's gone, but I do like to watch tv, read, go online, bake...the possibilities are endless! I think it really helps to just have the mindset that after the kids are in bed it's like a mini-vacation where you can do whatever you want.
    Anonymous