Disgusting

My little boy will be 2 in 3 weeks and I think it's time to start potty training. If he poops, he takes his own diaper off, and of course ends up smothered in it, and it's awful. He just goes in his own room to play and I'll hear him say YUK and run in, and there he is, smothered in poo.
Is this a sign to get started with pt? I've heard I should skip pull ups all together and just put him right in undies so he can FEEL his accident. I work 9-5 so it's going to be tough, but I know his baby sitter will help a lot. Any ideas? Do you think it's time?

katimae

Asked by katimae at 10:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• undies covered with a pullup...it will catch the messes but he will still feel the accident. This is how I would handle it if I was working at the time...I took a week off to potty train and only used undies.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• When he poops bring him to the bathroom and show him the poop goes in the potty. My son starting pooping in the potty within 2 days of showing him this (this is just him though, all kids are different plus he was in cloth diapers). He turned 2 in June and is now totally daytime trained. You can get cloth trainers if you want. They pull up like undies but they have an absorbant pad to help contain accidents. Hyenacart.com has tons of store where you can find them.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 12:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• We start pt before 2, so yeah, I don't think there's a reason you shouldn't. We did just undies, however I second sk_tennyson' idea. It is helpful if you can contain some pee, because there will be accidents.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Yes, when your child starts taking off their own diaper and knows when they've had an accident, then it's time to start potty training. When your child can come in and say "Hey mom, I've pooed" then it's time. It sounds like your child is ready, especially if he's taking off his own diaper.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:00 AM on Nov. 7, 2009