Introducing Formula- bottle or sippy?

So Im weaning my baby at the end of this month, she will be about 11 months old. I have given her formula once or twice before, but other than that she is breastfed and is eating table foods, and drinking out of a sippy cup. Should I give her formula in a bottle or a sippy cup? And which brand is the best (but also least expensive) to buy?

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 10:50 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sippy cup. Don't start a bottle habit this late.

I'm not sure if you mean sippy cup brand or formula brand. My DD likes the Gerber sippy and my DD likes the Playtex. Just be sure to use a hard spout...you baby is too old for a soft spout now.

If you mean formula brand, my pediatrician says that the Target generic and the Walmart's Parent's Choice next step formulas for older babies are ever bit as nutritious as Enfamil and Similac.

My DD self weaned from BFing at 10.5 months old. I tried Similac and Enfamil at first. He did fine with both but it got really expensive. I switched to Parent's Choice (it's half the price) and liked it better. It produces less bubbles, which means less gas. Also, it smells way better than the pricey brand and doesn't seem to sour as fast.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:07 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• If you breastfeed just one more month then your baby will never need formula.

No brand is best, they are all altered cows' milk with stuff added. Soy is the worst.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:05 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• With only a month to go, it's not worth the formula effort...but thatt's your call. Sippy cup, though. 100% no question.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:15 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• *****EDIT**********
    I dont want this to be a continuing to BF debate. I know I have only a month left but I have my reasons. Thanks for your input so far!
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:27 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Just give her a regular cup. Sippy cups are just an extension of the bottle, imo. My kids started drinking out of a regular cup when they started on cereal at 5 months, with help of course. My oldest was holding it by herself by 13 months. Yes, it takes more work, but it makes them more independent. As far as the formula goes, I would just go ahead and start on regular milk.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 11:30 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I'd do the sippy, and if she's eating table foods, go to milk. Unless the doctor thinks she needs the formula for a month or so....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Weaning should take 1-2 months at the very least... I would just introduce cows or goats milk (as long as there are no allergies) and wean slowly to that (in a cup). She's eating meat right? So, the risk of anemia (which is the main concern with cows milk in infants) is lowered.
    Wean SLOWLY though. Again... it should take a couple months.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• sippy cup but for a one month I would check with your ped and see if he can go ahead and move on to regular milk (nothing magically happens on there birthday to make milk okay, you are close enough imo), even that's not totally necessary if he is eating a well balanced diet.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2009