Anyone else have a child in Kindergarten?

I have a 5 year old in Kinder this year. Im suprised about the things shes expected to know already. I didnt realize how hard it could be for some kids. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe ask the teacher to send home some practice sheets for her to work on. Just remember Kindergarten is just a starter and it's to help them learn the basics. It's also there to provide socialization, making friends, and having fun. Don't worry Mom, she will be fine.. Maybe try some games for her too..There's starfall.com, funbrain.com, nickjr.com, PBS.org, they all have learning games on them so it makes learning fun instead of a chore.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:19 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Yes, my son is. He is doing well, and yes it is very overwhelming.

I have a first grader too, so i was more prepared and she is reading, already with confidence.

We review words every night and read everynight, It is a must. Or it will be so difficult for the future.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I have a kindergartener.

He's doing pretty well. They're writing sentences and he learns about 10 new Spanish words per week. They've been working on basic math concepts (over/under, in/on, few/many...) and are not working on writing numbers, patterns and counting by 2's. In English, he is writing sentences (as mentioned), sounding out words, learning more sight words and when to use capital letters or lowercase.

Science class is still mostly the 5 senses. In Technology class, they're doing the basics for using computers. Art is mixing colors, drawing, painting, etc...music they're doing different instruments..and in gym they're learning different group games.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:59 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• yeah they are expected to know alot these days! LOL My son is in 1st grade and my daughter is in kinder at a Montesorri school but she is a late start just turning 5 so she will stay in her primary classroom so for her its not too bad and she really has learned alot.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:42 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• My son is having no problems he is well advanced in school the only problem is since the class is slow for him he gets bored. They are talking about sending him to 1st or 2nd grade already
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• my son's in kinder too. You may also want to check out the group "Kindergardners 2009" There's a bunch of practice sheets and discussions.
    Also Tumble books web site as well as Starfall, PBS kids etc.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:48 AM on Nov. 7, 2009