I was reminded of this by the question about legalizing pot.

Why does it seem to be an issue that hemp is illegal to produce since it won't get you high? I am assuming it actually is illegal because there is so much activism about it. But, I would think that the absence of THC and the totally different nature of it as a plant would put it in a totally different category. Why is there a problem with it?

callmeann

Asked by callmeann at 11:09 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It is still illegal? I see a lot of stuff made with hemp. There is nothing wrong with hemp and it should be used.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:25 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Hemp is illegal to grow in the US (in most places), but we still sell hemp products. There are many hemp farms in Canada though, & the business does reqally well up there.

Hemp is cannabis sativa, it is the same as marijuana. The marijuana we smoke is a cross between Cannabis Sativa and Cannabis Indica. Cannabins Indica carries more THC.

When Cannabis Sativa is let grown in the wild, & it is able to produce many seads....it loses a lot of it's THC value, making it the most difficult strain to actually get high off of. You CAN however, cultivate cannabis sativa, remove the male plants so that it will not make seeds. When you do this, the flowers on the plant become filled with resin & THC, making the plant better for smoking purposes. So, this is why it is still illegal. You can take crappy hemp seeds & eventually cultivate it into a plant that will get you high.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Look up Hearst Publishing, DuPont Chemicals and Harry Ainslinger. Hearst & DuPont had a patented process for making newsprint out of trees and didn't want hemp to interfere with their profits so they made up a bunch of BS, think Reefer Madness, to have both outlawed. Hemp is easier to grow than trees, you can get 2-3 crops annually from one field and makes better paper. The Declaration of Independence is written on hemp paper as hemp was a huge resource back in the day. In fact Washington, among others, grew it and if you owned a certain amount of land you were required to grow hemp because it was so vital to our growing nation.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Thanks for the info, Friday and Samurai Chica. I really thought it was just the difference between male and female plants. I couldn't understand why the male wouldn't be easily distinguished from the female and cultivated accordingly. And, Friday, I knew the hemp plant was highly useful. That's why I thought we should be able to grow it. I don't remember reading about it being what the D of I being written on it but I do remember something about DuPont. Well, thanks for the answers.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 5:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2009