breastfeeding, one breast bigger than the other?!?!?

Im a new mom to my son who is just a little over 3 weeks and i have been breastfeeding since birth. the other day i noticed my right breast is very small and my left breast is really big and you can notice. and for some reason my son always likes to nurse on the left more than the right? whats going on > will it go away>has any one else had this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's normal. In right handed women the left breast tends to be the one that baby likes best. You can try to even feedings out by using one breast each feeding and trying to make sure you alternate breasts.

Usually when you wean they even out. Of course no woman is exactly equal.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:30 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• either nurse or pump the one that is producing less. you're left is engorged- if thats where baby prefers to nurse, then of course it'll produce more milk. we all get this from time to time. yes, it will go away. its okay, its even normal.
    like i said, nurse on that side more frequently. if you are switching between sides for feedings (which you shouldn't be with him so small) then stop, nurse one feeding at a time on each side, and if one becomes engorged, resist the urge to pump-it'll make it worse. use cool packs if that happens.

you'll be ok- most babies have a favorite side, its usually how mom is most comfortable holding them. for my boys, it was the left, because i am right handed and kept them in a sling most of teh time.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:34 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Its normal. You probably always have one breast that is slightly bigger then the other, just while nursing, it's more prominent.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• i ahve one breast bigger then the other even when am not nursing. alot of females have that. not woman has breast taht are the same unless fake. you just can tell more when nursing
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Mine are like that when I nurse. It's funny, because my left is bigger than my right when I'm not nursing, and it's the other way around when I am nursing. There could be a slight difference in nipple shape or all sorts of reasons your baby gets milk more easily from one, so then that breast adjusts supply to make more milk. It's annoying when it's visibly different, but it has no effect on your ability to feed your baby. You can feed your baby with just one active breast, no problem. LCs usually suggest alternating which one baby starts on, but I stopped that after awhile because my girls wouldn't start with the slow (small) one. They will finish with it though, so it still does make a little milk, even after 14 months of preferring the other one! Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2009