What's wrong with taking stuff away from children as punishment?

Please, not what's right with taking stuff away. Just what's wrong.

Gailll

Asked by Gailll at 11:36 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nothing, as long as it's not food or water.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:39 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Nothing. If its the PS2, xbox, computer, cell phone, tv. Its fine!!!
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I would have to say for wrong would be if it is something the child uses for security such as a blanket, favorite teddy bear or doll, pet, hugs, ect. You want to discipline the child, yet still allow the child to feel secure.
    AngeliaG

Answer by AngeliaG at 11:40 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I agree with the other posters- nothing wrong provided it's not food, shelter, water, love, or something essential for their emotional well-being (ie. two out of my three kids had lovies, cherished toys that went everywhere with them- I would not use that as a punishment because of the emotional bond they had to that one given item.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My 14 year old only has a bed, blanket, pillow and a lamp. I stripped his room because he would not clean it and he was being so disrespectful. He had a warning now he is suffering the consequences. Its amazing how cooperative he is now and how polite he is. I hate doing that stuff but I would hate it more if he got worse and became a jerk as an adult because we did not do the right thing when he is young.
    Anonymous

• as long as it not something the child depends on there is nothing wrong with it
    mommy2xp

Answer by mommy2xp at 12:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Way to go mommy of the 14 yr. old. Maybe he wil learn his lesson,
    AngeliaG

Answer by AngeliaG at 12:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Not only taking stuff away but not giving to them because they exist.
    Anonymous

• anon 12:06...LOL, good for you, that's parenting:) I would do the same thing. Nice to see some parents with "balls"!

OP...nothing is wrong with it. too many kids nowdays have too much and take it for granted. When my son starts to act up, things go... it works. my son has a lot, but he is very good, respectful, and appreciates how hard daddy works for the money, and mommy works around the house to keep things nice and 'running". His "job" is to be in school, help at home and in the community, and to be responsible.

all children are entitled to is food, shelter, clothes, bed, heat, and love. video games, tv., designer clothes and things, treats, gifts, toys...none of these are necessities of life.
    Anonymous

• nothing.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2009