need opinions.i have a decision to make

last time i was at the doctors my doctor asked me if i wanted to take this shot to prevent goin into labor early. honestly idk why. she said because i had my daughter early. but first of all how did i have my first baby early when they said my due date was oct 18th and thats exactly when i had her? but she said cuz my first baby was early im eligable to take this shot. but if i decide to take the shot i have to take it once a week and i cant miss one appointment (and its in the butt..doesnt sound too pleasing). but even though they say i had my first baby early my daughter was born on the exact due date and she was absolutely fine...should i take the shot? she said it was like they're saying i have to take it, its jus somethin to think about. and one thing i think about it anything to have a healthy baby but at the same time like i said my daughter was born on the due date so hows that early?!

kuuipo317

Asked by kuuipo317 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The shots your Dr. is talking about are progesterone shots that are given weekly from week 16-36 in women who have previously had problems with pre-term labor or are having a high risk pregnancy. They are not steroids, they aren't horribly expensive, although they are not cheap. They will not hurt you or your baby - - but if your daughter was born at 40 weeks and this pregnancy is going fine, there is absolutely no reason to take them! I would talk to your OB and make sure she's looking at the right chart.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• oops *it WASNT like i have to take it,it was jus a suggestion* also one more thing. lets say i take the shot..then what happens if the due date comes and theyre like oh your not in labor we will have to induce you in two weeks....ill be mad as hell. my due date is may 1st and i dont want anything to interfere with that date. its a day hawaiians celebrate and thats very exciting for me. i mean i know anything could happen..theres no garuntee i have the baby that day but at the same time i dont want this shot to interfere with the chances of me havin this baby on that day
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't take it....and since you're having doubts, you probably shouldn't take it either.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 11:50 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I think you should definitely ask for clarification. You're right, that makes no sense.

But I think it's safer and healthier to AVOID unnecessary interventions, so if this is optional, then probably better to pass on it...
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:50 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Is there another doctor in the practice you can talk to? Ask them exactly what you just asked here. It doesn't seem right.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:51 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Thats very odd. I have never heard of a baby being called "too early" that was born on their birthdate. Hm..if it were me..i would ask myself this? Could my due date been off with my last? How much did she weigh and was it considered too small? If she was in normal weight range and was healthy with no lung developmental problems then why take a shot. I would just let nature just take its course. However, what i dont understand is why your doctor would consider even giving it you if your baby was born healthy and on time. I would get a second opinion from another doctor and have them explain things alittle better. Something just seems a little off. Gl hun.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• im glad you guys agree cuz it truelly doesnt make sense to say my first was early when she was born on the day they said she would be. i mean at first i was like ok ill take it jus incase i dont want anything to happen to baby...anything to keep my baby safe kind of attitude but i think as long as i take care of myself which i have then there should be no problems. i mean i take my vitamins i eat my fruits vegetables my iron levels are good my blood pressure everything. everything is good. so if im healthy and my first baby came out healthy i jus dont think i should take chances. idk...i jus still have that thought in my head what if somethin happens and its cuz i didnt take the shot then thats on my shoulders.but if im healthy then i should be good right???
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• i wouldnt .. i would let your body do its thing naturally
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• oh my duaghter (my first baby) was born 8.5 lbs 21 inches long healthy lungs and everything. now she did have high belly rueben and she was jaundice but other then that she was perfectly healthy. after those 2 things she was fine..a month later she had her check up and was fine.
    kuuipo317

Answer by kuuipo317 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I dont have a clue what shot you are referring to because I have NEVER heard of a shot preventing labor and I went into pre-term labor with my daughter. There are anti-contraction meds that can stop contractions but it wouldnt do any good if you werent having contractions! I would first of all find out what shot they wanted to give you and do the research on it.

I would not get any shot to prevent labor unless I was in labor! Regardless of previous pre-term labor or not
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2009