Muslim men can marry Christian women, but a Muslim woman cannot marry a Christian man?

The shooting at Fort Hood sparked some morning breakfast conversation. One man said that Muslim woman are not allowed to marry Christian men but the rule doesn't apply to the men? Is this true? I don't see how it can be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not to highjack a post, but men ARE entitled to maternity leave. It's a labor law. And yes,if it's true it's sexist.
    Anonymous

• realize it might look like a double standard. or like an oppressive rule,

--

if it looks like duck....sunglasses mini

Anonymous

• Yes it is permitted for a muslim man to marry women from the People of the book (this means jews and christians)

Al-Maeda [5:5] This day are (all) things good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the people of the book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them. (Lawful unto you in marriage) are (not only) chaste women who are believers, but chaste women among the people of the book, revealed before your time― when ye give them their due dowers, and desire chastity, not
    lewdness, nor secret intrigues. If anyone rejects faith, fruitless is his work, and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (all spiritual good).

Where as muslim women are not married to men of the people of the book.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 12:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• is it double standard to give a mom maternity leave and not the dad? My husband was given 6 weeks vacation after I had a child. to give a mom breast exams and not the dad?Actually, there was a surge of breast cancer among men in one part of the country and men should get breast exams.

this is just one of those things I will never agree with so there is no point in trying to convince.I couldn't believe this double standard was true and  I am a little shocked this is true but I guess that is why I would not pick to be part of the religious practice.

Anonymous

• I got my answer so I am going to close. If I agree or disagree really wasn't the point of the question
    Anonymous

• However whilst marrying people from the book is permitted, it probably is not encouraged for it also says, that believing women are the best wives for you, even though others may allure you. It must be kept in mind what is permitted isnt necessarily encouraged. In Islam the marriage and the choosing of a partner has recomendations.

Bukhari hadith --Wedlock, Marriage (Nikaah) [62:27] Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "A woman is married for four things, i.e., her wealth, her family status, her beauty and her religion. So you should marry the religious woman (otherwise) you will be a losers.

So you see a muslim man following that advice is mostly likely to look for a good muslim women,

However there is no prohibition on taking a wife from the people of the book, just because something is permitted does not alays make it desirable. For example in Islam divorce is one of the most hated permissions.

zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 12:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2009