I can't decide if my son is ready to go from 2 naps to 1...help!

My son is 14 months old. He has been taking 2 naps since he was very little. He used to get up around 8:30, take a nap 2 hours later from 10:30-12:00, then nap again 3 hours later from 3:00-4:30, and then go to bed around 8:30pm. This worked just fine for us. Then one day, about a week after he turned 14 months, he wouldn't go down for his second nap. He also started to not want to go to bed at night, and was staying up as late as 11:00pm! This was NOT working for us. I took this as a sign that he was getting TOO much sleep, and needed to go to 1 nap. We've been doing that for about a week now, but he just doesn't seem as happy. He only takes one 1 1/2 hour nap a day, from 1:00-2:30, and goes to bed around 8:00pm. We love the new bedtime, but I just don't think 1 1/2 hours is enough for his little body! He's also waking up at 7:00am instead of his usual 8:30! Is this because of the time change, or lack of sleep?

MommyHannah

Asked by MommyHannah at 11:56 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son stopped taking naps at 13 months - once he turned 1 his first nap was actually hard to get him down for.. then one day I just let him go and it went that fast.. from one day to the next.. he turns 2 on sunday and I think I will be lucky if I keep him on 1 nap throughout this year.. I swear this child hates to sleep... he goes to bed at 8:30 and wakes at 5:45 everyday... ugh... he needs less sleep than his momy..lol!! I never think my son gets enough sleep but he will fight until he gives up. we tried putting him to bed early like 7 and he will scream and fight in his crib til 8:30 - every night if he has to...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Try one nap around 1 or 2pm. DD usually goes to bed at 9 or 930 and wakes up at 9 or 930 and naps around 130 or 2.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Thanks for answering...and so fast! Porter has always been a great sleeper...and a lover of sleep too! I think he would continue two naps if I let him, but I just don't think I want to. The first nap wouldn't be as early as it used to be, which would make the 2nd nap later, which would make his bedtime later. I don't really want to stay up with him until 11:00pm everynight! I like to have him in bed early, so my husband and I can watch tv, movies, read, or just relax!!!! Thanks again!!
    MommyHannah

Answer by MommyHannah at 12:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• When my son went to 1 nap I had to put him down around 11:30-12:00 or he was CRAAAABBY. I had to make sure he ate a really good lunch before the nap too or he would wake up just starving which caused a huge meltdown. He also stopped taking naps at about 18 months old and started sleeping 8pm to 7am.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 12:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• consider yourself lucky! my 15 month old doesnt require a lot of sleep at all. she gets up around 8 each day. she now only takes one nap, usually from about 2-4. and then she doesnt got to sleep until 10:30. and believe me, she would try to stay up even later if she could. and if i go anywhere later in the day, and she falls asleep in the car for even twenty min., then forget getting her to sleep by 10:30! its horrible!
    Anonymous

• sounds like it's time to cut back to one nap. This can be difficult for a week or two, because they will get tired a lot later in the day...say arounf 6:00 when you really don't need them napping. So, you have to try to keep them awake to get them to bed at 8:00. Those two hours were hell from what i remember. But, it took my DD about 5 days to get accustomed to taking one nap. It really helped though,....not more late nights.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• There's always an adjustment period when they can be overtired when you're changing nap schedules, even if they're the ones who initiated it. I would try to put him down a little earlier than 1pm for awhile, though. My girls always did better in the afternoon stretch than in the morning on. We started with 11, then 11:30, then 12, and eventually did get to a 1pm nap. You can even put him down earlier than 8 if you want. My 14 month old goes down at 7 or 7:30. Also, that one nap may well stretch out to be longer than 1 1/2 hours, but sometimes it takes time for that to happen since he's used to the 90 minute naps. He has to learn to put himself back to sleep (or not fully rouse) at the end of his sleep cycle. I'd just stick with it..
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My son may not sleep during both naps, but we always put him to bed. He wakes up at 7:30-8, then will sleep from 10-11:30 or 12, then he's back in bed at 2:30-2:45 until about 4. If he doesn't sleep, he'll just play in his crib for about 45 minutes before I go and get him. Then he goes to sleep at 7:30-8.
    He seems to be less grumpy even if he's just playing in his crib, rather than keeping him up downstairs.
    Anonymous

• I would try putting him down a little sooner for his nap - say, an early lunch then a nap around 11:30/12. An earlier bedtime might be necessary too. And don't worry that the early bedtime means an early morning wake-up - - kids who get enough sleep tend to sleep more, while kids not getting enough sleep will tend to not sleep as well and wake up more/earlier (I say tend to because we all know there are exception to every rule!). Both my kids are in bed between 7/7:30 and they wake up generally around 8/8:30.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Thank you to everyone! You all have given me lots of things to consider!!
    MommyHannah

Answer by MommyHannah at 3:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2009