• In the Spotlight:

What do you get out of this bible verse?

With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.
James 3:9-10

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not very good at this....but I see it as, how can you be praising the Lord one minute and the next saying bad things to other people? Either you're one or the other. A person can't call themselves Christian if they're only Christian at church or in front of God. You should be Christian ALL the time.....(this was a great verse...made me think about how I live my life and how I represent myself)
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 12:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• How do YOU (op) see it?
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 12:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• if reading it in context it talks about being wishy washy.. you are either for Him or against Him but you cannot be both.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• We can't just be Christians on sundays.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 12:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I would read it to say that when you curse men (individuals or mankind) you are cursing God because they are his creation & made in his image. That we should respect all because they are all a part of God. It is rather similar to the Eastern idea of "saluting the divine within you" when you greet another person (or in many cases any living thing).

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• To me, its basically saying that in one moment you praise God then turn around and curse his other children.
    Which is really crappy since you are to treat them as your brothers and sisters and be kind and non-judging,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• It means that your words, all of them, not just when you are praising God should be like "honey on the lips" or "apples of silver and gold." In plain English.....if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all.....
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 2:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• It means a lot of gossipy Christians are going to hell.
    Anonymous

• Pretty much it's calling those who praise God while cursing their fellow man hypocrites.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• sounds like the Bible is against hypocrisy.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2009