Any suggestions of things to do while laid up in bed w/a bum knee?

waiting for my surgery next week and will be out of commission for a while. Holidays are coming up and I am just plain bored while kids are in school. I want to make use of my time. Thank you for any ideas :)

AngeliaG

Asked by AngeliaG at 12:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I went through this. a laptop was my saviour. then there are movies to catch up on, books to Read, photos to go through, learn to speak a new language. try and do bed exercises, sign up to take surveys.  Thank God for the internet!typing

chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:31 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• partially tore my ACL in my L knee about 20 mos ago. had me laid up for a long, long while...

i found things like crocheting (its soo easy to learn if you don't know how!) were wonderful, because i had done something productive- not just watched tv. made a couple afghans, and some scarves & mittens.
    sketch pad & charcoal. candle carving (make sure you do it over a bag! lol) and giving them as holidays gifts (google it, there are also some cool kits!)
    learn ASL (have someone pick up some books from the library- teach the kids when they're around! it opens a lot of doors)
    grow and maintain beautiful nails- if you don't already. it'll make you feel pretty when you feel awful.

that's just to name a few... i hope surgery goes well, and that you have a speedy recovery!

above all, do your bed exercises! it'll give you a "leg up" on your recovery. (pardon the pun)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• cross stitch
    Anonymous

• Sort and organize photos and make scrapbook pages, organize recipes and get them onto the computer, catch up on some reading you've been wanting to do .
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• i was in the hospital the last 2 months of my pregnancy, on bed rest so my mother sent me a ton of beads and jewelry making supplies. so i spent the whole time making necklaces and earrings as gifts for everyone that helped out with my oldest daughter and my husband when i couldnt. n i'm still making them as of today.
    scottshoney

Answer by scottshoney at 2:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Learn to crochet or knit. Or catch up on reading. Have someone bring you interesting books from the library. (not just novels) Try learning about things that interest you, such as crafts, bible chronology, or ancient history. Some of my favorite books are pulled randomly from the reference section. Read the Foxfire collection. Those are full of old time remedies, stories and other information that has been lost to the technological age. (Don't waste all that time online) You'll get headache, backache, eyestrain, and by the end of the day you'll feel wasted and unproductive. (which could lead to depression) Good Luck! Hope you feel better!
    Dessahkristene

Answer by Dessahkristene at 4:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Fabric Yo Yos and Fabric covered buttons take minimal materials, are quick to do and instant gratification :)
    southernlamom

Answer by southernlamom at 10:33 PM on Nov. 18, 2009