Are lice treatments like rid or nix dangerous for kids? If so are there any safe ones?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• we were told by the pharmacist to use Nix for the kids. never had to but I got it just in case (dd's best friend had them)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I don't know but, I had a friend who use to lather her DD in mayo and wrap her hair in plastic for the day.
    Anonymous

• I sure wouldn't use it on an infant, but they are safe to use, just don't get it in eyes! You really have no other choice because it is the only thing that kills them, but I have been a hairstylist for years and have never seen a reaction to the treatment, they multiply super fast so get on it LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:30 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• You do not have to use Rid, or Nix, anymore. If your child is allergic to ragweed, it says right on the box NOT to use it. I went to the drugstore and bought a ROBI comb. It is an electric nit comb you comb through the hair, for 5 or ten min at day. Can't remember the time, but you use it on the child every day for 2 weeks and that is it. It uses batteries. It does work. I bought mine at CVS pharmacy. If you go the Rid or Nix route don't buy at pharmacy. Too expensive, Go to General or Family dollar. They have a generic brand, same stuff, and a heck of alot cheaper. I will never buy that nonsense again. I have a Robi comb and it worked great.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 12:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• There is a pesticide free one that I use. I get it at Kroger. It's called Lice MD. Call around to see if stores around you have it. http://www.licemd.com/
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• i have heard that putting adult conditioner in the hair and leaving it in for about an hour, then use the very fine toothed comb on the hair really gets them out with not alot of chemicals. it worked for me and a co-worker whos daughter had fleas (long story but it was not from a pet). the only down fall is that if you are treating a girl with long hair it may take several passes.
    BigBoMom

Answer by BigBoMom at 5:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• well, probably only if you let them drink it... but when I worked at a low income daycare, kids were allways comming in with lice, and we used tea tree oil instead... after a while the rid or nix stuff just didn't work. Kill them by putting something like mayo or vasoline in her hair and wrapping it firmly iwht plastic overnight then wash out with a good conditioner then rub tea tree oil through her hair. You will sill have to use the lice combs to get most of the eggs out. They will be dead by then, but the egg shells will stay attached to the saft for a long time and look kinda gross.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:52 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• nix is safe for any one who is preg or 2 month or older this is what i used for me and my dd when we were infested and i was like 10 weeks preg
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 3:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2009