How long did it take you to become social again, or at least just get out of the house without your child?

How long after your had your first baby did it take you to become social again or even leave the house without the baby for some alone time? Do you regret going out so soon, or maybe regret waiting as long as you did?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have so much going on with my family, I feel bad that I don't have enough time for me, but in time, I will when they are grown up.

OH, and my real friends will still be there, getting old with me.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I wasnt alone without my first child until my honeymoon 6 months after she was born. Even then i was calling my mom 4 times a day to make sure everything was ok. When my second child came along i was out soon after my 6 week release from my doc.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My son is 22 months old and I'm hardly ever out for me time. Let's just say, the first time I was without my son overnight was on our wedding night when he was 15 months old...even then, he was still in the same hotel!! Lol, wow, I'm a loser!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 12:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I had a baby-sitter within about a month. We went to eat and a movie. Don't start the life style that the kids hold you back and keep you down. You will end up resenting them and blaming them for not doing things. When our oldest son was 6 months old, we went snow skiing for the weekend. When the 2 oldest were 1 & 2, we had gone with out them several times. By the time they were 4 & 6, they were going with us. Don't let them be your excuse. People CAN and DO take good care of you children. You are not the only person in the world who loves your child(ren) and will take care of them.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• With my 1st, I had some major complications after she was born and was in and out of the hospital having surgeries until she was 6 months old - by the time that was done, I wanted nothing to do with leaving her! With both my kids, I do use the occasional babysitters, although they were both over 6 months old before I did that. It had nothing to do with not trusting other people to take care of them and everything to do with not being ready to leave them. Both my kids have traveled with me on planes, trains, and ferries. Both kids have slept in hotels with DH and I. And no, I do not regret not leaving them. I get me time each week while DH watches them, and that's good for me. But I see no reason not to fully enjoy my life with kids while I can - all too soon they will be grown and gone - I'm going to take advantage of having them close while I can!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• We left our son with grandparents when he was three weeks old to do Christmas shopping. He was born at 35 weeks, came home when he was 18 days old and we didn't want to risk him getting sick by taking him to the mall.
    Anonymous

• I went out the night they released me from the hospital! I had been in the hospital for two of the longest weeks of my life. My baby was born at 31 weeks and went directly to the NICU. I only had to stay one day after she was born, so that night they released before I went home for the night, we went out to chillis with my FIL. Had a nice meal that wasn't hospital food and had two beers. I needed it bad! I didn't feel bad about it at all. It was nice to have a break from the stress even if was only a few hours.
    geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• there's nothing i NEED to do that i can't have my kids with me. I enjoy the occasional shopping trip without them, and usually my husband will just keep them (well my son. the baby is nursing so i can't leave her long). ... I have never gone away on a trip alone or as a couple. We go as a family, and for me that's just as fun. I don't mind having them along, we make our memories as a family and someday when they're older and don't need us as much we'll be able to do that kind of stuff. I never went out and partied before I had kids, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything in that respect.
    Anonymous

• besides getting a job....i dont. sorry (and my baby is now 1 so its at least been a year). but i did get my job at about 8 mos. but i really only did so bc he needed interaction with other children and i don't know anyone here with kids his age and we dont'have any close family. my dr. recommened taking him to a play group or daycare so i did. and i felt really guilty taking him to daycare with out a really good reason to (plus the money doesn't hurt)
    BigBoMom

Answer by BigBoMom at 5:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2009