Group B Strep test

Okay, so I had mine done when I was 36 weeks. At my last appointment, I was told that it came back negative. I'm thinking great, no antibiotics. Then the nurse says that they're still going to give me the antibiotic...? She then just walked out of the room, so I had no chance to ask about it & my OB doesn't answer my questions. I have an appointment with the midwife this coming Tuesday & I plan to speak with her about it, but why on Earth would they even bother with the test if they were going to give me the antibiotic positive or negative? And what do you think I'm going to have to deal with when I refuse these antibiotics? If I'm negative, I don't want them - the end.

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 12:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• uhg. That test!
    You can refuse ANYthing, even if you were positive.
    But I don't know why she said that... That doesn't sound like normal protocol.
    You can refuse. Are you planning on having an IV in labor? If not, no problem. You can just come in LATE in labor....
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Its up to you.. If it were me I would anyway, just to be safe. I was positive with all 3 of ours and didn't have time for it with our last baby. It kind of made me worry.. He was fine though..It's not going to hurt you or the baby, and if you don't have a lot of infections and haven't been on an antibiotic in a while it's not a big deal.
    It is up to you though,so just be sure to make it clear to your Dr. that you don't want it at your next appointment. Congrats on the baby!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I don't want an IV, I hate the idea of being hooked up to something. My OB told me to come in when my contractions are 5 min apart. When would you recommend?
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 12:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• It depends on how close you are to the hospital, how much help you have at home, and your plans for a natural delivery.
    When I am with a laboring mom hoping for a natural birth, I try to help her stay home until ctx are more like 3 or 2 minutes apart, it can still be 12-24 hours before delivery...
    But the debate rages about antibiotics. There are evidence-based arguments that show these antibiotics can cause more harm than good, and don't reduce the rates of infections to the newborn, so it's pointless. AND that moms can test positive one week, negative another week... It all comes down to how much tethering do you want while laboring? IMO, the less, the better. A mom can have up to 16-17 cords, wires, tubes, etc. hooked up to her in labor. :-(
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I'm about 5 minutes from the hospital, so that would be easy waiting a little longer. I really don't want antibiotics. And I'm all for the least amount of tethering possible. I am also planning on no pain meds, so going in a little later would be fine for me, right?
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 12:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Negative equals no drugs. I wouldn't let them give it just because...they need a valid reason and if your OB will not answer your questions, there is a problem.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• That is really odd. Unless you developed a fever or other symptoms of a possible infection during labor, there is no reason to get antibiotics. I'm sorry your OB and the nurse are lame. Good luck!
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 12:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Yes, as late as you feel comfortable.
    If it were me, I would wait until the contractions were about 2-3 minutes apart and about 60 seconds long (or more) each. They'd need to be like this for a long while, especially if it's my first (at least in this pattern one hour, preferably longer).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• There is a point in labor when you've been coping for a while and things become more intense.
    Although you don't need to get your cervix examined (not recommended, lol...), it's around 4 centimeters that most women plateau for a bit. Their body realigns, gets ready to bring out the big guns. It's in this time that moms start to question leaving. Hopefully, mom can work through and keep trucking along as she continues to labor (progress).
    When the mom is getting VERY serious, no longer able to keep up in conversations, MUST really stay in her focus, it is getting farther along and she is doing her bigger work. It *can* still be a long while before delivering, or maybe not. ;-P
    You can have a professional birth doula by your side to help you stay strong and progressing at home as long as possible, too.
    ;-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• If the test came back negative, there is no reason for the antibiotics. Even if it were positive, you could refuse them - about 30% of women test positive and only 1% of that 30% actually pass it to their babies because of how they do the test (they swab areas that baby isn't going to contract GBS from). I would question any Dr. who is not answering questions!!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2009