How to clean linoleum kitchen floor

So i just moved into my new house in Oct. I cleaned the kitchen floor, and it looked really dull. And i just thought, its linoleum and after a while it gets like that i suppose. ( there were previous renters) And i've always had tile, so i didn't really know. Well the other day, i was mopping, and i was pressing really hard and it started to get white! like brand new white! and i was like WTH, that is disgusting if thats what im walking over..Anyway, are there any special tips on how to clean linoleum? i was thinking just to take half water, half bleach and use a scrubber brush. If you have any experince please let me know!

rileygirl

Asked by rileygirl at 1:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Follow it up with a coat of Future; it seals up any of the texturing and helps keep dirt from getting trapped.

I *really* need to do my floor. Just never have time...we have a LOT of linoleum!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I think it would depend on the texture and color of the linoleum. I have dark fake tile looking linoleum in my kitchen and I use either Lysol or Spic and Span to clean it. I can't use bleach on mine. If your is white and is supposed to be shiny like, I would use a water and bleach mixture, but not 1/2 and 1/2. That's too much! Use one parts bleach, three parts water. A scrubber brush will help getting it really clean. Have fun!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• mamaada- why no bleach? because it is dark? it will not remove the color, it is made to have industrial cleaners used on it.

OP- use a scrub brush, and a mixture of 4 parts HOT water (as hot as you can stand putting your hands in) 1 part bleach, and about 4 drops of concentrated liquid dish soap. add a healthy dose of elbow grease, and you'll have beautiful floors.
    the kitchen floor gets such abuse, stuff spilled on it, grease settles on it in a sticky dirt attracting film every time you fry or saute something.... that's why i will not mop. it just pushes it around. you can obviously use more bleach on any stains on the floor to help remove them (around baseboards, fridge, stove, etc). the dish liquid will help to break up the residue better than commercially available floor cleaners will, they're made for maintenance, not hard core cleaning.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Thanks a lot! yeah i would use 3 parts water, 1 part bleach..lol, that is a little overboard. As for using bleach, thats all i could think of! My mom uses bleach for everything! So i just kinda thought that would work! lol.
    rileygirl

Answer by rileygirl at 1:30 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My Steam Vac has a hard floor attachment that I use. I use the Vanilla Lavender Mr.Clean, so the floor comes out clean and leave the house smelling nice.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2009