breast feeding in public

sorry i'm gonna ask this again with a different heading to see if i can get a little more non-breast-feeding moms to answer.

how, possibly, could breast-feeding in public be considered offesive? Or a shock value? I mean i can understand if your getting your boobies out and flaunting them around on purpose. but just nursing in general, really, offensive?

KristaRene

Asked by KristaRene at 1:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I hope you get the answers you seek. I doubt they will make sense though. I am all for feeding babies wherever I need to.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• You're right, it shouldn't be offensive. I'd say just do it and don't worry about who it offends or why it offends. I breastfed both my girls wherever and whenever I wanted. I worried right at first; after awhile, though, you stop even noticing people's reactions. Who really cares. Life's too short. Enjoy your baby.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I'm a non breast feeder. I don't think it is offensive to feed the baby where ever or when ever. I think that SOME breast feeders go out of their way to make it shocking. I knew one that would whip her boob out without being discreet no matter who was around. Then I have a good friend who has bf all 8 of her children in the last 14 years and I have never seem anything of hers and she did it everywhere.

If a person is discreet, whether breast or bottle, there shouldn't be a problem. I did have a bottle mom who would whip the bottle out in the middle of an isle and refuse to move because she was feeding her baby. A guy actually tripped over her because she stopped so abruptly.

I think people just need to, in general, need to be considerate of their surroundings. By the way, I have no issue with nudity, however parents have a right for their children not to see nudity in a public place.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 2:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• In my opinion, i was not a breast feeding mom, my boys were formula fed. Even before i became a mom i would see some of those that nurse their babies at the store, i jus find it wrong to expose one self in that manner when their are sometimes room where a mother can go to breast feed her baby. Believe i feel it is a blessed moment between the mother n her baby, but be respectful to others n what they want to see... for those who do know they have the wrap thingys that can show less of what ur doing ... so you are more comfortable n not expose urself. You knowi wonder is it illegal to that out n about ... well shoot if its not well jus go about ur business.
    blssdwittwns930

Answer by blssdwittwns930 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I've got a question too. If nursing your baby is " personal" between Momma & Baby shouldn't bottle feeding also be personal? I mean if I should have to go somewhere private to feed my child than so should a bottle feeding mother. See how odd that sounds?

What is good for the goose is good for the, uh, goose. =)

I'm on 2.5 years of bfing two kids. I don't "whip it out" and I've never seen anyone do that
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• A blessed moment for a mother and a baby? Are diaper changes blessed, too?
    Anonymous

• If you breastfeed discretely, no one will notice. When you display your breast for the world to see and then finally latch the child after making a scene, then it's an issue. I have no problems with nursing in public. Most of the time, you don't realize it's going on. You might see a child in an odd position and realize, oh, he's eating. But how often do you really see breast when mothers nurse? I think a few tacky woman have set a bad example and tainted some peoples minds.
    Anonymous

• I have BF two babies. I only fed out in public when necessary and used a privacy cover. Some women are discreet with it, and when they are there should be no issue with it at all. A small handful of moms aren't discreet and do want to flaunt the fact they are BFing and that isn't appropriate.

As long as you are taking care to not put your nipple on display then no one has the right to complain.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• i bf my son in public. People know I am but not bc they see my tit, but bc I walk around cradling my son who is covered while my hubby either pushes an empty stroller or theres an empty carseat in the buggy. I never show anything bc i put my blanket over my shoulder & get myself situated then I latch my son on (dont have to look usually) when I bf in public, this is me trying to be curtious to others. I do get mad when people (esp women) say "eww thats so gross" or "thats what formula is for", I disagree. My breast produce milk for my son and I will feed him when ever & where ever i need to.
    marinesweetie

Answer by marinesweetie at 6:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I used to use a nursing cover whenever my son was a new born, but now that he is older and gets hungry in public, he causes more of a scene by flailing his arms and screaming because he doesn't like being under the tent. Women can be discrete without using blankets or covers. I agree with anon :55. There must have been mothers who were not polite in public with their breastfeeding and have given nursing in public a horrible name. Most of the people who see me nursing in public don't even realize it unless they sit there and stare for a few minutes.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 7:43 AM on Nov. 7, 2009