Do you ever wonder what the world is coming to?

When i was growing up i could be outside til all hours of the night just me and my friends. Schools were a safe place to be, i never wondered if my mom and dad were coming home because i knew they were. Now I would NEVER let my daughter hang outside friends or no friends, I'm scared to death to send her off to school, and I thank God every day I get to stay home with her, so I dont have to worry if someone is going to come to my place of business and just open fire! It is crazy what this world is coming to! I almost feel guilty for wanting to bring children into it! An Army base...really that would be the LAST place i would think someone would open fire! And today a high rise?! I just hate the news its nothing but BAD news! What are your thoughts?

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 1:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We are seeing the results of a prog. that was put into place years ago. It involved the practice of not requiring children to take responsibility, it was a indoct. of being entitled, it is the practice of participation trophies/ribbions even if a child did nothing to earn it; it is the practice of not giving "0's" as grades but "60"s" so the child wouldn't feel bad; it is the restriction of parents to rear their children without fear of being turned in to CPS, it is the allowing children to think they have rights to challenge authority; it is telling children "good job" when in fact it wasn't. Now we have adults who have to live in an adult world and they don't know how. We are reaping the hell brought on us by a bunch of feel good, hippy type, psychologist who told us to not force our children to learn how to fail, get up, brush off, and try again. It's not their fault. Now with 10.2% unempl. there will be more.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• An Army base...really that would be the LAST place i would think someone would open fire! - babymaddy --- Really? Aren't military bases full of imperfect humans that are subjected to all sorts of crap on a daily basis and perhaps some my find it difficult to deal with. Aren't military bases full of men and women who could very well infiltrate them only to gain facts and pull off something like this? Open your eyes - this world is full of people who are capable of doing monstrous things and yes even on an army base.

Good people are found everywhere and so are disturbed and bad people.

Anonymous

• The difference is, as a child you didn't know to be afraid. As an adult, you understand the dangers. I was never afraid to go outside the in dark as a child. But now, despite not having anything bad happen to me or within my neighborhood, it still creeps me out to be outside alone in the dark. It's the curse of knowledge. Ignorance really is bliss.
    Anonymous

• i completley agree. sometimes i feel bad for my child, and children i still havent had yet, i feel bad for even bringing them into this world!! life is crazy. sometimes i think im more scared of life then i am of death. death is simple, we die & i have a feeling that what happens after we die, is a good thing. but life ... theres so many things that could happen. my child could get murdered, we could be in a car accident & be paralyzed, i could take my kids on vacation & we could be swimming in the ocean & get bit by a shark, they could drown, i can get cancer, etc.etc. it never ends. scary shit!!!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• i like ur answer 123456.
    Anonymous

• Bad things happened a 1,000 years ago. Bad things happen today. Just because it's more publicized doesn't mean it's not, based on percentage, happening at the same rate.  So if you want to panic and be fearful and pass that on to your kids, then go ahead.  But I'm just going to keep living my life and not worrying.  If something bad happens, then I'll deal with it.  Plain and simple.

Anonymous

• That the world had just as many bad people then as it does now, however we have a streaming of 24/7 news and access to terrible things and we hear about it more often. So, no, I don't wonder what the world is coming to, I try to live my life well and without fear.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• how old are you? because I'm in my mid forties and when I was a kid a girl was kidnapped, raped and had her arms cut off.
    there have always been atrocities and they are much less institutionalized now than at any other point in history. (Spanish Inquisition, anyone?)
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• jessie if your theory held water these incidents would be far MORE common. your theory might explain slackers, but not psychos.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• 1) There is always a certain percentage of the population that is going to be criminals. In the past there weren't as many people, and the ones there were weren't under as much constant stress as they are now, they were less likely to crack up and go Rambo.
    2) We had strict laws kept them more in check.
    3) Also think about this--when something happened across the country or on the other side of the world, the news didn't usually get outside the immediate area or state. Now we hear about things in Texas one day, and Florida the next and some other country the day after, and so on.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2009