What is one thing that you feed your family that your parents thought was a luxury or too expensive or unnecessary?

I use real butter for my family.My parents said that butter was too expensive, and always used margerine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i belive in buying what we eat not what is cheep my son WILL NOT eat store beand fish stickshe will take one bite and then refuse to eat the rest i have to go to the organic sotre and get him cod fish sticks but he eats them all up. When i was growing up it was if you want fish sticks you get whats on sale not whatever brand you like best
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 2:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Nothing really, growing up we ate all kinds of things, many of the same things I eat and feed my family now. However, what I make in the kitchen or different ways of cooking foods has changed but the actual ingredients or foods have not.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• sushi, chineese food, thia food, fresh veggies (as opposed to canned).... anything that isnt meat and potatoes, or cream of crap casarole.

LOL... my mom wasnt a very good cook. It isnt that the food we eat is a luxury, it is simply that it is "different" and OMG.... healthy!
    Anonymous

• Butter here too, and also REAL MILK! For some reason my grandmother always used that dried skim milk and mixed it with water to reconstitute it. **SHUDDER** I still can't figure out why, it wasn't much, if any cheaper than buying real milk.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• We go out to eat occasionally. Growing up we NEVER ever ever went out. bleh.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Actually I'm a lot cheaper then my parents were. No matter how bad off we were my dad still found ways for us to have name brand foods and steak every once in awhile.
    With my kids it's all store brand, whatever is cheap and we rarely ever have steak, pork chops and stuff like that. We live off of ground turkey, hamburger and chicken breasts and never eat fancy food.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Nothing. My parents did not skimp on food, but my dad had a really good job. Don't get me wrong, we did not sit around having lobster by candle light, but if there was something my mom wanted to cook she did. I would say the only thing I trim back on is pop for my kids. I just don't think they need a ton of pop. But it is because I don't think they need it not because I can't afford it. We have it for them during the holidays or special occasions. Thanks for reminding me how good I had it as a kid. I will now remind my kids how soft they have it too...they will be thrilled to hear me say it lol.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:26 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Almost everything I cook now is a luxery compared to how I grew up. My dad was the only one working with four of us kids, so we always stuck to staples like spaghetti, and chicken. Things that were cheap and easy to make alot of. But what my fam considers a luxery is that I make shrimp to go with my steaks. Whenever I mention steaks n shrimp my fam says wow, how can you afford that? Its really not that expensive
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• most every meal haha. EVERYTHING was generic growing up. i buy a lot of generics, but there are some things i refuse to buy generic. my mom hates that i pay extra for name brands when there are cheaper versions that are "just as good". so if we have Kraft mac N cheese w/ Tyson chicken fingers & a Coke...thats a luxury.

we have a very small food budget but we still eat better than i did as a kid...anything is better than red beans & rice made w/ ketchup!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Frozen pizza. Our once every 2 weeks Sunday night treat. I NEVER had frozen pizza growing up, not til I was like 18 and bought it myself and made it in the microwave!
    Anonymous