Do you think putting a toddler on a daily schedule will help him act better?

Like waking up a certain time, eating breakfast right after, bath, maybe a little tv, play time, lunch, then dad gets home, some more playtime, eat dinner, bath, brush teeth, get pjs on, storytime, then bed. Do you think it will help his fits a little more? Do you think that kids put on daily schedules act better than kids who aren't? just wondering..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• NannyB thinks all you have to do is spank children until they obey. The rest of us realize that spanking could be a tool, when used appropriately and in conjunction with true discipline. Spanking isn't discipline - it's punishment. Some of us don't need to spank our kids to make them behave. If it's something you choose, that's your choice.

Having a schedule / routine does help! If you get up and have nothing to do, you get bored. Bored children do not behave well. With a 13 month old and a 2.5 year old, I schedule activity changes about every 45 minutes. I don't force them to drop toys and run. If play is going great, I let it go until I noice the kids getting cranky. Giving kids something to count on makes it easier. Once you have a routine in place, it makes discipline EASIER. There's a reason all play date deteriorate in 2 hours or less, no matter how "good" the kids are.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:31 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• It is easier for them if they are on a basic schedule. Don't plan every minute of every day and understand when you need to be flexible. My DD is on one, just because it is the same routine daily, so it really helps us.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• yes...kids need structure
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• a routine helps with everything.

my kids are on a routine, but it doesn't make them act any better or worse.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• yes.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 2:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I definitely think so.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 2:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Putting him on a schedule will not cause your child to behave better. Discipline will help him behave better. Teaching a child to respect and obey his parents should be priority one. It is the basis for everything else that happens in life. Children are born with a selfish nature and their goal is to rule and reign and to have control over as much as their parents will allow. You should be able to tell him once what you want him to do or stop doing. If he does not instantly obey, you should spank his bare leg. You then tell him that you love him too much to tolerate disrespect and disobedience. Done consistenly, you will see a changed child in a matter of just a few days. Once he understands that you will spank him, you will seldom have to use it. The bonus is that you will have the well-behaved child which you desire to have.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Ok, so what disipline should I use, cause he's only 1 1/2. He's spoiled rotton, when he came home from the hospital, my mil lived with us, and she recently moved to florida, (we live in virginia) and she held him all the time, and everytime I would try to make him do something, she'd baby him, and it really ruined everything, I'm so glad she's gone. (that's bad, but true) anyway, he will throw fits where he stomps his feet, and screams, until he gets what he wants. And I've tried time outs on the couch, but he just screams more, and gets off. It drives me crazy. He knows how to get out of his playpen, and crib, he has a toddler bed now, and I really don't know how to didipline him.
    Anonymous

• A routine will help - having the same thing happen in the same order helps kids to know what's coming. You should be flexible with your routine rather than schedule it down to the minute, but it will help :) There are a lot of ways to discipline - unlike NannyB, I prefer positive discipline to punishments like spanking. Hitting a child for being naughty reinforces that hitting is an acceptable way to react to things you don't like. Let your son know that when he listens to you, good things happen. For example, if he eats his dinner, he can have dessert. If he gets ready for bed right away, there's time for more stories. PRAISE him for doing event he smallest thing right, gradually praising him for only bigger things. Be consistent and he'll get it. I promise.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Watch Supernanny.
    Anonymous