Are you against circumcision?

Is there any particular reason? Is it due to the pain involved, or is it a religous belief or another reason? Did your husband (or whomever you parent with) decide or was it your decision?

If the procedure itself is the reason would your opinion change if there was a newer pain free way? (I don't even know if that's possible, I saw someone posted something about a ring and that didn't cause pain).

Thanks, I was just curious.

presleyfan1

Asked by presleyfan1 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm cool with well informed parents getting it done.Alot of time though,parents are led to believe that it must be done.We decided not to do so,leaving it for our son to decide for himself.It's his penis,its not for us to decide!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My son is cut so nope... I am not against it all:)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Yes I am. I don't see the point. Why cut off a useful piece of skin?

Neither my husband nor myself were for it.

HOW its done has nothing to do with it.. Why it's done makes no sense to me.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 2:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• keep 'em coming...I love to hear different opinions, thanks for responding!
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• nope
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• The ring is painful, just not as painful as a tradition circumcision surgery. The pain if part of the reason I'm against them. It is not necessary, so I do not see why I should put my son through the pain and trauma for something not medically necessary.

My husband is not circumcised. I was silly and thought he should be when we first married and bless his heart, he was open to the idea to go get the surgery just to make me happy, but he provided me with research before I made my final decision. I learned that there is no true medical need for a circumcision. My husband has never had an infection of any sort. The foreskin actually produces a natural antibacterial that protects the penis from infection. When we had a son, we decided together to leave him intact.

I think more people would choose not to circumcise if they received the right information.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I am against it in the sense that a person who is having his body altered should be able to consent to it. He has to live with the choice and it may not have been the choice he would have made.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I am positively against routine circumcision. There are occaisionally rare medical conditions that require it be done for the infants well being. The majority however, are not. I was a young, uninformed Mom with my oldest son. (27 in Jan). I wasn't really told I had a choice. The Dr. just informed me of when they were doing it. I take responsibility for not questioning EVERYTHING. On top of all the others things they didn't tell us, and there weren't 9000 books and an internet to get info from, they didn't tell us you must daily fully retract all the skin away from the corona of the penis to avoid readhesion. I will forego the details of the screaming as they performed it in my hospital room w/o any pain meds and the screaming for a week every time he peed. We did it because 'daddys was" . My youngest son was NOT circed. He has never had any problems. It is just as easy to teach a boy hygiene as it is a girl.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• cont'd my oldest had to ndure a very painful procedure by a urologist. It makes me sick each time I think about it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I am very against it. The main reason is because I think that sex is better with and for an uncircumcised man, much better. Otherwise, I just think it's barbaric. I've heard all the arguments and I think they are all stupid. The only reason I can agree with is if it's because of your religion. That's it.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2009