Why has my son recently started getting up at night screaming and crying?

Ok so we recntly have moved back to my sons home state. He is 1 1/2 and hes recently started waking up at night screaming and crying and he wont let me hold him...it takes me a while to calm him down....but he still some what winnes and doesnt want to go back to sleep it worries me because hes doing this almost every night if you have any idea why please help me.

AnaRamirez

Asked by AnaRamirez at 2:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like it could be night terrors - my daughter had those for awhile and it was horrible! Here's a link to a baby center article that helped me.  If it's a nightmare, vs. night terrors, there are different things to do - - night terrors tend to happen within the first couple hours of sleep and children resist being touched - it can be a sign of not getting enough sleep.

TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Make sure he is awake. If not it is most likely night terrors. My dd had those. Pm me for more info if you want
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Have him checked for an ear infection.
    Anonymous

• I agree that it sounds like it could be night terrors. When he wakes up screaming and crying he could still be in a state of sleep and not realize that you're there to comfort him. I wish I could give you tips on how to calm this, but I honestly don't know what would work. I agree with another post that you need to make sure they're awake. If they still seem in sort of a sleep-like state then it is most likely night terrors.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2009