Should the Military stop recruiting Muslims?

June 06, 2009

By William M. Welch, USA TODAY
A Muslim convert who said he was against the U.S. military pleaded not guilty Tuesday to capital murder in connection with the shooting of two soldiers outside an Arkansas recruiting center.

One soldier died in the attack Monday, police said.

Abdul Hakim Mujahid Muhammad, 23, was ordered held without bail at a hearing Tuesday in Little Rock. He is charged in the death of Pvt. William Long, 23, of Conway, outside the Army Navy Career Center in Little Rock.

"This individual appears to have been upset with the military, the Army in particular, and that's why he did what he did," Little Rock Police Lt. Terry Hastings said.

He has converted to (Islam) here in the past few years," Hastings said. "We're not completely clear on what he was upset about. He had never been in the military.

"He saw them standing there and drove up and shot them. That's what he said."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that is the first knee-jerk reaction, but what about the members who do great work? How do you decide who are radical and who aren't? Do you isolate the entire group and cause problems with that? Do you let them in and cause problems with that? Are a handful of events enough to condem a whole group? I don't know. I think there needs to be some type of screening. I just don't know what.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Anonymous

• yup
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 2:52 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Only if they decide to stop recruiting all other people with religious affiliations.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Why because a few idiots who happen to be Muslim decide to kill other soldiers? Shall we stop recruiting Christians to because there have been Christina soldiers that shot their fellow soldiers as well? The Military would start to be pretty sparse. Rather than blame a religion, lets blame the real factor of mental illness and stress in the military and work to resolve THAT issue so incidents like this don't happen
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Sorry, last time I looked we are one of the few countries in the world who have the freedom to belong to any religion we want to. That said, I don't believe RADICALS of any religion or political persuasion or any other type of radical should be in the military, in government, in the legal system (other than as inmates if they break the law) or any other position of authority.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Yeah! Absolutely! In fact, maybe we should round them all up and keep them in camps like we did to the Japanese during WWII! Cause you know they're all just waiting to rape your women and kill your babies and blow up your job!

Stupid people terrify me more than any terrorist on earth.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Yes!
    Anonymous

• Hmm. Remember when we tossed all the Japanese into "camps"? Either we are tolerant, or we are fearful. Which is it? Because I chose tolerant.
    Anonymous

• I think all Muslims need to be removed from the military. They are proving untrustworthy.
    Anonymous