Our Lady of Guadalupe tattoos

I am a Mexican-American and I practice the Catholic faith. I have much respect for Our Lady of Guadalupe. I recently saw a huge tattoo of her. For some reason it bothered me. I am not sure why.

How do others feel about tattoos of Jesus, Mary and the Saints? Does anyone know the official church teachings on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Im not a big fan but I dont have to live with it.

As for Our Lady of Guadalupe, I much preferred viewing the real deal LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• considering that the bible says not to, i think its wrong to get them.
    Anonymous

• I don't have a problem with religious tattoos, in fact I have some (not Christian). Some people interpret Leviticus to be saying that one should not get tattoos at all, others interpret it to be saying that specifically tattoos in memory of anyone who has died is forbidden. I am not sure if there are any other verses that restrict the use of images of Jesus or religious figures.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Oh...um...hmmm...yeah...that's my next tattoo. I have tattoos dedicated to the religions that the majority of my research is done in. I have an AUM for Hinduism and a Lotus for Buddhism...so far. I have a few more for each that are going to sit happily on my body.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• no....................the OLD TESTAMENT says not to, it also says dont eat shrimp or wear 2 different colors at one time. you know who follows old testaments, judaism.

so if your going to say ohh the bible says its wrong, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. UNLESS YOU FOLLOW THE OLD TESTAMENT AND IT SMANY, MANY, MANY RULES...................shut up. you are hyprocritical. are your clothes all the same color? do you refrain from eating pork or fish? hav eyou ever worn wool? are you completely submissive to your husband? oh yea and in the old tes. the verse about tattoo's refers to body markings representing another god from another tribe that was local and markings on a dead body. oh wait....so that emans dont get another god on you, and dont tatoo dead people. but lets just make it everyone in general and judge. im not a christian but i know more about this than you.
    Anonymous

• uh anon:50 you have made me dizzy just in the first sentence.
    Anonymous

• I was taught to consider how tattoos originated/meaning of, and then decide on whether or not they are pleasing to our Creator.

I personally do not believe that one should idolize figures:

“You must not make for yourself a carved image or a form like anything that is in the heavens above or that is on the earth underneath or that is in the waters under the earth. You must not bow down to them nor be induced to serve them, because I am your God, a God exacting exclusive devotion.”—Exodus 20:4, 5.

“Guard yourselves from idols.” (1 John 5:21) Paul wrote to the Corinthians: “What agreement does God’s temple have with idols?” (2 Corinthians 6:16)

Of course, everyone is entitled to believe in what they choose - I'm just listing those scriptures because they are relevant to what I believe.
    Anonymous