Christians, if you don't believe evolution is possible with God can you explain why?

I believe God uses evolution, I also wonder about those who believe the earth is on a few thousands of years old? Can you explain why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are many theories... I know the Bible says a day can be a thousand years... so that would fit in dinasours and everything in the 7 days of creation.... it might also explain why ppl used to live to be like 900 too.... (other than the fact that there was barely any pollution back then)
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 3:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• i wonder the same too.i belive in both. i just cnat belive i cane from am monkey. but oh well am here so i dont care
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I believe that with God, all things are possible.
    Anonymous

• SO's parents are Bible Literalists. They believe the earth is 6000 years old and they take every word as THE WORD. They believe the devil put dinosaur bones in the ground to tempt the faithful. SO went to private school in elementary where this was taught as part of the curriculum. There is a group of people who take every word literally.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I believe the Bible is the Word of God. And the Bible states it was done in 6 days, so thats what I believe.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe evolution is possible, period. If God wanted to use evolution, I have to believe that it would make more sense than it does. And yes, I do know quite well what I am talking about. I spent a semester researching evolution and intelligent design for a paper in college- I will find it and post it for anyone to read if they are curious. Some basic points: evolution has many definitions- the most common being macro-evolution, the change of one "kind" to another i.e. lizards to mammals. Genetically speaking, this is not possible without relocating certain parts of dna that can't be relocated without destroying the organism. Point two: mathematical equations show that over time the earth's rotation has slowed. By reversing these formulae, we can deduce the ealiest point at which the Earth could have started spinning and supported life, about 6,000 to 10,000 years. CONT
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Prior to this the Earth would most likely have spun so fast that it would not have been able to support an atmosphere, let alone life. There are similar equations relating to the proximity of the moon and how it is slowly drifting away. Add to that all the experiments to try and recreate the "primordial ooze" from which life emerged and the toxic results thereof, and I prefer to believe that God created the universe in six days by will and rested on the seventh, no evolution, no winding the clock and letting it go, nothing trying to unite what we were all brainwashed to believe in school and what the Bible says happened. Of course, I also believe that the Bible is the infallible word of God, that the salient points in the creation story were written in a literal language and as such should be taken literally, and that if God wanted to do what we cannot understand in six days, then by golly, I'll believe it 'cause He did it.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

Actually the bible uses the Hebrew word "yom" which is used in the bible for several different time periods.  In Genesis it's used to indicate everything from a 12-hour period of time to eternity.  "Yom" does not have to mean a 24-hour day.  Since humans didn't witness creation, our concept of a 24-hour day does not apply.  And the bible says God's day is not like our day.    See "Word Study: Yom" for an explanation.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Some basic points: evolution has many definitions- the most common being macro-evolution, the change of one "kind" to another i.e. lizards to mammals.

Maybe that is a young-earth defintion of evolution, but it's not scientific. Scientific theory of evolution undrstand that micro and macro evolution are basically the same thing - the difference it the length of time involvced. And the category "kind" doesn't exist in science.  Practically, evolution is a process that results in heritable changes in a population spread over many generations.  So it is NOT the idea of lizards changing into mammals - it's more the idea that small changes accumulate over  a long period of time to cause a change in the population.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Point two: mathematical equations show that over time the earth's rotation has slowed.

The earth's rotation is slowing at a rate of about 0.005 seconds per year per year. This extrapolates to the earth having a fourteen-hour day 4.6 billion years ago, which is entirely possible. The rate at which the earth is slowing today is higher than average because the present rate of spin is in resonance with the back-and-forth movement of the oceans. Fossil rugose corals preserve daily and yearly growth patterns and show that the day was about 22 hours long 370 million years ago, in rough agreement with the 22.7 hours predicted from a constant rate of slowing.  So no the earth wasn't spinnin so fast that it couldn'ts support an atmosphere.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2009