circumcision question - respectful answers only please!!

Serious, respectful answers, only please! I saw another question about circumcision and it prompted me to ask. The reason we have decided to get our son circumcised is because of the supposed risk of infections and such, and worry that it will be very difficult to get a young boy to truly keep himself clean down there when he is old enough to do it himself. I know you can try to teach them, but I know how kids are, and even the adult men I know think showers and hand washing and the like should only take about 4 seconds, so I can only assume a young boy will be worse to train. Do you know any men/boys that have had problems due to NOT being circumcised? I've heard the arguments against circumcision so I am not really asking about that, just simply for some examples of problems arising from NOT doing it rather than doing it such as UTI's. Thank you.

sammybear71

Asked by sammybear71 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've actually only known oneman that had it done because of infections, a friend of the family. He got circ'd when he was 18 or so. My older son got his done because a nurse ripped his foreskin while examining him and from that time on he had problems, so I had it done when he was three.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 4:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Yes, I have known SEVERAL men that had to get circumsized as an adult or teen due to problems.
    Anonymous

• was it really painful to have your son circumcised at 3?

We are discussing having our son done and he's two.

OP i to am having second thoughts about not having my son done at birth.
    Anonymous

• I know 2 adults who were not circumcised, and 3 kids. None of them ever had any problems. HTH.

Oh, and my son, who had kidney reflux, still didn't have any problems, or UTI's.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Scratch that, 3 adults and 3 kids. At least.
    Krysta622

• I have never known anyone who had any problems from not being done, none of my boys have been and my husband isn't either.

People will use scare tactic's when it comes to possible problems from not being done, but when doing all of my research the percentage of problems between those who are done and those who aren't was so minimal that I didn't even bother figuring that in when it came time to make a choice.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Having the circ done at 3 was terribly difficult. He was put under general anesthesia, but the recovery was very painful for about a week and my son remembers every bit of it like it was yesterday (he's 14 now). My advice is, if you're going to do it do it as young as possible. The feedback that I got from the other young man who had it done as a teenager was that it was pretty painful as well. I had my last baby done at birth for just that reason and recovery was a breeze.

On the flip side, my brother and dad and various other family members never had problems and they were not circ'd. It can be a very difficult decision to make.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 4:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My son had to be circumcised at 4 because his foreskin was closing up over the top of his thing. It was painful, but worth it.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 4:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I know of and care (d) for lots of families that don't circ and they have not had any problems with their children's intact penises.
    You can do a poll asking those with intact sons, too.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I honestly had it done to my son...well because its in the bible... but medical reasons I believe its best due to infections and such...and teaching to clean. You're momma you decided....goodluck
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 5:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2009