If your child refused to clean their room, would you eventually do it for them?

My mom always threatened to put my stuff in bags and give it away, lmao. I wish I would've kept a better room as a kid, it always embarrassed me when friends came over.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 3:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No I would not, I would threaten punishment or to take away their favorite things.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 3:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• yep...right into garbage bags and out to the can... :)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My dd who is 8 is like that I told her the same as your mom I told her what was left on her floor I would give away even her clothes I meant it too I was tired of asking her to clean her room. She went into her room and cleaned it she really doesn't care about her toys, but the thought of losing her cloths motivated her little butt.
    No I would not clean it for them if the refuse
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 4:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I box up their stuff and take it away for a week. I can tell you, we don't have the room cleaning problem very often anymore.
    Anonymous

• If I have to be the one to clean their rooms, then I have no problem putting their stuff in trash bags. I've done it before after asking my daughter for a week to clean her room. Finally, I took a box of Hefty bags in her room and went to town. Her room was kept clean for a while.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Nope, If I tell them it is time to clean, and they dont after a set amount of time, what ever is left is thrown away.. It didnt take them long to figure out I meant business LOL.. I broke hubby the same way. I cant tell you have many jeans and pairs of socks I have thrown away...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Actually, my mom did bag up all of my toys once and give them away, lol! I don't remember it myself, apparently I must've been too traumatized by it, lol, but I always wondered what happened to suchandsuch toy.......

I would not clean their room if they absolutely refused to do it. I would probably take my moms approach and removed everything they owned except for the bed if they were being that beligerent. If it is a small child we would clean it up together or if my child kept their room "picked-up" I would go in and do the vacuuming, dusting, etc. I refuse to clean a mess that is left just because they know that eventually I'll do it for them, but if my child is well-behaved and respectful I don't see the problem with doing their chores for them every now and again as something nice. I will do for someone all day long provided they are appreciative and respectful, if they act like I HAVE to do it they get cut off, lol!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 4:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• No. Depending on how old they are. Under teen age years I would make them clean there room. But when they reached teen years I just shut there doors.

Answer by louise2 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• No, I wouldn't do it for them. It would work like this:

Kid: Mom, can I have a drink of water?
    Me: No, your room isn't clean.
    Kid: Mom, can I change the channel?
    Me: No, your room isn't clean.
    Kid: Mom, can we play outside?
    Me: No, your room isn't clean.

You get the gist. It works well around here.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:06 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Yup...right into the attic would go all her toys. She only has a few left because she refused to clean and her room looked like a hurrican came through. Her room is nice a clean now.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:06 PM on Nov. 6, 2009