Should I get my baby girl's ears pierced?

OR will God be mad? I read the verse where don't make cuttings on your flesh but that's for the dead.

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 4:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well I'm not religious but I got my daughters ears pierced at 3 months, she pulled them out. Again at 8 months, they were gone the next day. Again on her first birthday,....yep she pulled them out. So if your daughter is a newborn..that's fine. If not do what I'm doing..wait till she wants them.
    Anonymous

• You devote a lot of time coming up with these questions, don't you? lol!

If you want to pierce your little girl's ears, do it. I wouldn't, but religion has nothing to do with it. I feel that it should be a "coming of age" type of thing for girls 12 and older.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 4:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• The bible does not have anything SPECIFICALLY addressing piercing (except the passage you mention and it is doing it for the dead). There are many people who will take principles from scripture and apply to their family to say piercings are wrong. However, the Bible does not specifically address it! You do what you believe is the right thing to do. (I agree with the pp in that it is a coming of age thing. My parents always figured it was something they could willingly "give in to" when we started begging for it! Lol! Their thought was why take away that little bit of leverage they had and get us pierced before we cared! :-))
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• O.K. whenever you read Old Testament prohibitions against things there is often a reason God gave those commands. The people of Israel lived amongst pagan cultures. By that I mean paganism was dominant and often inforced by governmental measures.  This is a hard concept for us because our society is very diverse religiously and mostly free to practice or not practice religion.  There isn't a formal religion of the government.  So God put laws in place to keep them from following the customs of the pagan people of that time.  They were called to be set apart for God.  So since we no longer have these issues we have to look at why God might see this as sin.  Are you trying to make your little girl fit in? Is it a vanity issue?  If not then I don't see the sin.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Just like I believe you should let your child(ren) decide what religion THEY wish to be (when old enough)...I also believe you should let them make their own decisions about body modification (when old enough, again, of course).
    Anonymous

• lmao omg thats the dumbes t thign i have read on cafemom. am christian and i ahve my ears pierced(had my belly) and so does my dd since she was 3 mts. and so do alot of wman i know who belive in God
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Honestly I can't imagine a god that would care. Do you believe that the god you know would be worried about that? That is how you will get your answer.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

WOW - finally i agree with soemthing written my an anon lol,lol,lol

I didnt do my daughters , i believed it was something for her to decide when she was old enough. It upset a lot of dh's relatives who seemed to think earings are compulsory for babies, lol, but to me it seems odd, babies with earings, I suppose it was one of those things that you werent allowed to do until you were much older in my family.
    zanzeebeel

Answer by zanzeebeel at 6:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Let your DD decide when she becomes of age.
    Anonymous

• from an islamic point of view. .it is permissible to pierce your earings but not other body parts (though many believe it's ok to do nose piercings as a cultural practice).

I did not pierce my daughters earrings. At first i wanted to but her dad didn't want to. he didn't want to inflict pain on her.. then as time when on he wanted to.. now i don't want to because im afraid she'll touch and pull and get infected.. she's 2. i was thinking about taking her to get it.. done by a pediatrician but.. we are still debating. sometimes i wonder if i should just let her decide when she gets older.

my entire family is chrisitian and they do pierce earrings.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 6:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2009