Has attachment parenting and breastfeeding been turned into something mean and nasty?

everyone here seems to hate all breastfeeders and attachment parents now, because they "bash" all others.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Whatever! Lol! There are groups of people here who are mad about anything. I just ignore it and usually go to the actual groups if I want to discuss something. You get way too big a mix of people and opinions in the Q and A section!! At least in the groups they generally try to keep the trolls out.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• i bf but i also ff, i dont ap much i do co-sleep. i would wear ny bbay but i like my back and hips lol. they way i see it some bf moms are annoting and some ap parents thing thats their way of parenting is the only way.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• There is a select few in any group who are going to bash all others... it doesn't make the entire group bad. Saying that AP moms who bf bash everyone is the same as saying all moms who spank bash those who don't, based on a few of those 'moms who don't spank are lazy parents whose kids are going to grow up to be psycho' comments. Most parents can respect other people's choices even if they differ from their own and are not going to be hostile about it... the minority is just more vocal.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I don't think either are nasty, but I do agree that many of "them" are big time bashers. I both breastfed and formula fed. I held my daughter for the first 3 months of her life and used a wrap sometimes. I guess I am in the middle, and don't feel the need to scare/insult/bash other mother's into doing things my way.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I don't think it is limited to those particular camps. It seems, at least here on CM, that moms are very militant and combative about their particular mothering style. So it can get pretty ugly. I'm glad my kids are older so I don't have so many questions and these "styles" don't so much apply now.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• This has been around since the beginning of babies, yet anyone under 35 who does it, seems to think they've invented it, or have joined a brand new wave of parents doing it. THAT cracks me up. These are also the mothers who claim "my child will NEVER do such and such".....yet the child is 2. Wait....just wait......
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Your statement isn't fair! Not everyone hates all of them. I don't. There are a few I despise because they are pushy and refuse to accept that THEIR way is not right for everyone. But I don't HATE all of them.

I don't hate all of "them" nor do I think "they" are all bashers of others.
    Anonymous

• I have friends who dont do ap i have some that do i also have family that dont do ap & some that do its what works for one doesnt work for another like spanking it doesnt work for me at all so its time outs & a discussion that my daughter is able to understand when shes doing wrong
    mmtosam06

Answer by mmtosam06 at 5:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• That is a very big generalization. Just like the comment about those under 35 acting like they invented parenting. It's not that anyone thinks that. We're just tired of older mothers, typically an MIL acting like they know it all and don't seem willing to just be grandparents and let us be parents.

I have not read one bad thing about BF but all sorts of bashing about FF. The problem is some of the moms who believe in BF and attachment parenting like to bash the rest of us. I have read on here that "there is no reason not to breastfeed." The thing that is not understood is that how a mother feeds her baby, be it by breast or formula, is no ones business. It's like everything else in life - a few ruin it for everyone else.
    Anonymous

• I have nothing against anyone unless they force their own opinions and ways on others, and look down on moms who don't do the same things that they do. I do think that a lot of moms on here who breast feed think they're better than those who don't, and that's not necessarily the case. Everoyne knows breast milk is best, and that's why I continue to breast feed, but I don't look down on mothers who can't or don't. These hard-core BF advocates are making a bad name for themselves!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2009