Would you let someone baby-sit your child if you knew they were on Prazac for PPD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If it was someone I knew and trusted I would. However, I wouldn't let ANYONE who I didn't know and trust watch my kids, PPD or no PPD.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 4:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• No.
    Anonymous

• Sure if they wanted to.
    ameliasmama1

Answer by ameliasmama1 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• yes, if the person felt up to it.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 4:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Well, I suppose it would depend on the person and how long I've known them. For instance, if my sister was going through PPD and felt okay enough to babysit, I would let her. I trust her with my life and certainly trust her with my child. However, my daughter is 16 months and has only been babysat by her grandparents (I'm a sahm). My sister and I get together about every 2 weeks, so when she comes over I want to hang out with her, not ask her to babysit.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• no, i would offer to take their child for a few hrs so they can rest
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Wow,way to make her feel even shittier! Lots of normal everyday people take antidepressants! Believe it or no I'll bet one of your kids teachers or babysitters takes something and you never knew! I'd be more worried about someone babysitting my kid with ppd if they weren't taking something! Should we all not be allowed around children?Extreme cases where kids are in danger are very rare!
    Anonymous

• Well, I would hope she is taking Prozac and not a man named Prazac (umm yes I'm a geeky wrestling fan and it was a funny error k lol)

Taking anti-depressents are not at all sign of whether someone is capable of being a good care giver. That is like saying anyone on medication for a chronic illness is a bad care giver. I am on medication for asthma? So, should I stop taking care of kids? I mean you know I could have an asthma attack. Chances are greater that I will have an asthma attack over that woman having a bout with depression.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

Actually, I had a friend of mine tell me she didn't want me to watch her kid b/c I"M THE ONE WITH PPD! My DD is 4 months and I'm on meds for it and feel much better now. Way to go ASSuming things, though. I'm very good with kids too, going to school to be a teacher. I was hurt by her comment so wanted to get other mom opinion.
    Anonymous

• OP-

BTW, thanks to all you ladies who are answering the ? without being judgemental. Ladies like you are the ones who make this site worthwhile. :-)
    Anonymous