Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it time to go to the hospital?

I am 39 weeks 2 days. I have had a previous c-section.. and trying to do a VBAC before the scheduled c-section which is the 12th. The doctor said if I keep having contractions that are uncomfortable and hard to breath to go ahead and come in. Past few days my pelvic area was hurting bad. Today it's so hard to even walk, and I have had several contractions that have made my c-section scar feel like it's tearing open.. I feel highly tight around the scar as well, when he moves it kind of feels like air comes out the vagina.. tmi im sorry. i keep feeling a pee like sensation, but when i check my underwear its dry, and a sometimes a little wet. just clear. each step i take hurts more and more. should i go ahead and go in to get checked? Wednesday, I was 1 centimeter and 50% effaced.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

Answers (13)
  • whooo that's a toughy. do you trust your OB not to push interventions on you. generally i would think that in order to succeed at VBAC it would be best to stay at home as long as possible. i know that the risk of uterine rupture is not very high but at the same time it would be good to ask someone who recognizes the signs to check you out. i think good OBs and midwives can recognize signs of uterine rupture...? i'd say if you trust that you can move around freely and labor normally at the hospital, go ahead in and see what they say. have you tried asking on a community board? there are a lot of women there a lot more knowledgeable about natural birth and VBAC than here i think. good luck!!!!!!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

  • If you are in that much pain I would say yes! Even if not labor, something could be happening that should be checked out. Good luck to you!

    Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

  • If you feel you need to go because you're worried something doesn't feel right, then go. What others think is not important. My DIL felt like something was odd or wrong or just somehow different. She went in and a tech just rolled her eyes at her and told her to go walk while she waits to be called. 10 mins later she was past out on the floor. It turns out she had severe preeclampsia that developed out of nowhere. Trust your instincts. The worst they can do is send you home to wait.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

  • It doesn't sound like labor, it sounds like the uncomfortable few days before labor sets in. Relax, drink some water and put your feet up. Chill out. And if a doctor is really serious about giving you a chance for a VBAC they don't schedule a C-section, just so you know. This doctor is not supportive of VBAC. He says he is, and he's willing to "give it a try" but he's not really helping you a whole lot.

    When you DO go into labor, if VBAC is something that is very important to you, wait until your contractions are 3 minutes apart and lasting at least a minute before you go in. Unless your labor is progressing very quickly, in which case go in earlier.

    I wish you good luck!

    Answer by Ati_13 at 4:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

  • NO. If you are not in labor, work through the discomforts from home. You have a better chance at a successful VBAC if you avoid unnecessary intervention~ including checking the cervix.
    If you can stay home and cope then you are doing your baby a favor. Don't go in unless you are about to have the baby. :-)
    Assuming you are healthy and fine, you are planning a natural delivery, why did you schedule surgery?

    Answer by doulala at 4:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

  • Monitor your pain level.
    If it becomes too much, go ahead and go.

    Answer by Gealach at 5:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

  • for those who have said that the dr is not supportive of VBAC, i do agree, but unfortunately it is very very hard to find a doctor supportive of VBAC. i feel like most doctors who will "allow" VBAC will only "allow" it if it is by a certain time, say before 41 weeks, so it doesn't surprise me at all that this doctor already schedule one for the 12th. it is a sad truth about our maternity system.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

  • anon, true. But it's mom's call, she can decline the offer, refuse the surgery. She must consent, of course. And her best bet is to show up later in labor.

    And I don't know, GrnEyedGrandma, Iactually think that the worst they can do is keep her there and take advantage of her vulnerability and talk her into an unnecessary cesarean.

    Answer by doulala at 5:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

  • Well I scheduled one, just in case the baby is to large or does not want to come out.I am 4'11 and my first son weighed 8.2 pounds. I layed in labor for 17 hours and he was just kind of stuck in the pelvis, they could see his head and everything. He came out coned head and he did have a rather large head. this time they measured the baby at 16 weeks and estimated him 7.6 pounds already then. i bet he put on more weight now that i am 39 weeks. and his head measured 39 weeks. Now, I am just so in between can I do it or do the surgery, and one doctor that ws really nice told me "I would go ahead and schedule a c-section just a little before your over due, and if it be God's will, you will go into labor before your over due, and we can do the VBAC, other than that we wont let you be over due and the csection unfortunately will take place." She is very supportive, but one of those Doctors that will tell the truth and like it is.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

  • you're not actually overdue until 42 weeks. 8 lbs is normal size, & i'm betting the head size was normal too. my son's head was 75th percentile which of course is totally normal. a good way to avoid c-section is not to "lay" in labor, like you said you did. it's easier for your body/your baby to move through the pelvis if you move around and get in different positions. also 17 hours is a normal amount of time to labor, as is 36 hours. i think it will be difficult for you to have a VBAC if you are not confident in your ability to birth your baby, even if you are past your due date and baby is "large". VBAC in our society can be hard to get and you have to really work for it, unfortunately.

    good luck! =) i hope all is going well

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.