crying

I know I ask a lot of question, but its only cause I'm a first time mom.
I've feed him, changed him, and then when I try to lay him down to name he crys. Should I let him cry or what should I do???

senthia

Asked by senthia at 4:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure he's comfortable and he probably just wants you to hold him. If he's crying and crying and you have tried everything possible it could be constipation. My daughter would cry for hours at a time and it ended up being constipation.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Sounds like he just doesn't want to lay down.
    So cuddle him.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like he needs to be held. If he's like this a lot you can get a sling. Not a crappy one from Walmart, I mean like a Maya Wrap or an Over the Shoulder Baby Holder. Both of them are good. It gives you your hands free and baby is getting what he needs as well- which is being close to his mommy :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• If you KNOW he absolutely needs to be asleep, and he has any congestion, it could be an ear infection.

If you are trying to force your schedule on him, that's the problem. Either continue to force your schedule and listen to him cry until he gives up and accepts it or make you both much happier and go with his flow...follow HIS cues.

Anonymous

• Sounds like he's not sleepy. Try a bouncy seat or swing or like the other moms said hold and cuddle him :) Sometimes it can be very frustrating when you can't figure out what baby wants. Lots of trial and error...
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 4:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I sounds like it could be colic maybe. Try some gas drops. It may be reflux that hurts when he lies down. Cuddle him and keep him comfortable. Try rocking him with a light weight blanket over his head. Can you set his bouncy seat on top of the dryer? Sometimes the warmth and vibration put them to sleep.
    You ask all the questions you need to, but trust yourself too.
    Anonymous

• my son likes to be swaddled for his nap... htat's the only way he'll sleep for long during the day... just keep an eye on him
    serinaberina

Answer by serinaberina at 5:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• If he is fed, clean and and has had lots and lots of cuddle time and you feel he is ready for his nap then it will not hurt him to cry for a little while if that is the route you choose... If you choose to let him cry some to learn to sleep on his own then you should still pop in and reassure him every 15-20 min by rubbing his back or just talking to him. I agree gas drops are a must at every feeding for most babies! That may help you also if you aren't already. Also if you are choosing to let him cry some then you may want to try weaning him into it. One nap a day until he is falling asleep on his own for that nap. Rock him or hold him to fall asleep for the rest. once he gets the hang of one nap add another that he must fall asleep on his own. Save the night time for last. This may take a few months. Some babies just seem to need more holding and reassurance than others. My son slept in his own bed form day one...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• with out so much as 5 min of fussing. My DD screamed when pt in a bed and I had to wean her into the idea one nap at a time. Just feel it out and do what you feel is best for you both. No one here will have the exact answer for you. Only suggestions. Try them all or try taking what you have heard and making your own 'way'. Just relax. He will sleep eventually. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• sounds like my baby he just wants to sleep on you this drives me nuts but i do it so he doesnt cry i let him fall asleep on me and 20-30 minutes once he's in a deep sleep i will move him to his bed sometimes i can move him right away but im getting to the point now that im trying to let him cry for a minute or two and sometimes he will cry for a couple minutes then go right to sleep i just dont let him freak out if he does that i hold him till he's asleep - he's 6wks btw -
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 7:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2009