My 3 yr old son's birthday is also Christmas day, any suggestions for celebrating them separately?

zacandrobinsmom

Asked by zacandrobinsmom at 5:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Holidays

• Have Xmas on Xmas eve and his Bday on Xmas. Or have Xmas in the morning and Bday in the afternoon.

Answer by louise2 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Whatever you do DO NOT give him his birthday presents ON Christmas day!!! My birthday is two days after Christmas and I've ALWAYS hated it. Most people give me gifts ON Christmas, then I feel lonely the rest of the year when people have birthday and I don't. Plan a party for after New Years. Chances are if he has friends none will make it to a party that close to Christmas, they are busy on vaca, with families. etc. It's not fun!
    BlazzinBebe88

Answer by BlazzinBebe88 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I have a friend whose DD was born on 12/27 on since she was small, she has ALWAYS had her party in January, about 20-30 days later. This gives all the kiddie friends time to recuperate and then her birthday is JUST about HER BIRTHDAY and nothing to do with Christmas. Many times, they have done a Luau theme, since it's the winter-time, to "heat things up!" I think ONE YEAR they celebrated her birthday ON her birthday when she was about 14, because she and her mom were in Alaska, her dad was overseas, all their friends had travelled to the "lower 48" to visit family, and they couldn't. They had a nice dinner for 2 and watched movies. It's really up to you, and depends on what age. Right now, may not be a big deal, but later on.....you don't want him to feel "gypped/jipped".(sp?) Good luck!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Years ago I got a parents magazine and a mom in there said that she celebrates her Christmas baby's birthday in June! She called is a half yr birthday or an unbirthday party or something like that. Most people seem to find that crazy, but I thought it was a great idea!! That way the baby gets ALL the focus and people can maybe spend more on gifts AND be less stressed out! My nieces Bday is Dec 26th and she is 4 and they have NEVER had a se[erate party for her. I think thats soooo sad, but every year the holidays get away from my SIL and time runs out :( I am with Blazzin...what ever you do PLEASE give them their VERY OWN separate time!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• PS-Post-poning it also makes it easier on your budget, & everyone else's budget, etc because everyone is spending every dime they have on Christmas. Christmas is stressful enough w/o adding a Birthday Party into it. I would want a special birthday without any Christmas trees.

PSS-If you TELL everyone your plans, they can catch some after Christmas discounts, too.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I was born December 25, 1974. I, too am a Christmas baby. My parents always made me feel special by giving me a big Christmas in the morning and then we had birthday cake and presents (sometimes small family gatherings) in the afternoon/evening. They always made me feel very special!!! When I became a teenager a couple of times they had the living room seperated by a very long piece of duck tape with Christmas presents on one side and birthday gifts on the other! LOL! Now that I am an adult, everything seems to run together, with the primary focus being on my own children. But somehow I ALWAYS feel special even if it is something they sang or made for me! Hope this helps!
    oneprittygirl

Answer by oneprittygirl at 7:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My son's birthday is 12/22. When he was little we would celebrate his birthday usually the weekend before it. As he got older and wanted to "do" stuff with his friends, I'd plan a new year's eve birthday party for him. I'd let the kids sleep over, so if parents wanted to go out, they wouldn't have to return to pick up their kids until the next day. HA!!! THAT was VERY popular with the parents!!!! And my son had a great time.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• My birthday is also 12/22. My parents were always amazing at seperating the two. Make sure that you wrap all of his birthday presents in paper that is obviously intended for birthdays (not Christmas paper). My mom would make our Christmas tree into a "birthday tree" She'd put up birthday banners and have birthday balloons out in the morning. Its all about making sure the birthday theme is there! Have a birthday cake even if you've already got 1 million desserts. I would celebrate Christmas day as his birthday with your family and then have his party the weekend after Christmas. Happy Birthday to your little one!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 12:56 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• DD3 will be 3 on 12/22. We celebrate her birthday the saturday before Christmas. Then after all my in-laws leave we celebrate Christmas with my family. My dad's birthday is 11/29 & mom's is 12/27 so we give them their birthday gifts then too.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2009