Are you afraid of your child growing up to be gay?

Me personally I would love my DD just the same if she whether she were gay or not. I really hate it when parents express that fear. It's like they're saying they wouldn't love their child anymore if they turned out to be gay. They could grow up to be the same loving person as they were as a child so why should them being gay make a difference to that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• i wouldn't care...they're still the same person.
    excited2bemommy

Answer by excited2bemommy at 7:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• No I'm not. It wouldn't bother me. I'm more afraid that one of them will be and everyone else will disapprove - I've never voiced it but I know I'm the only one on both our extended sides (and immediate) of the family who is okay with gay...the rest are major homophobes (they think it's insanely wrong). So yeah...my kid will still be my kid if he/she says "I'm gay", but I'll probably the the only family member to accept it - and that's what I'm afraid of.
    Anonymous

• I'll say here what I said on the previous topic.

No parent WANTS their child to struggle in life. No one wants thier child to be teased or discriminated against. No decent parent would wish something on thier child that might cause them pain. We do what we can to protect them from what we can. I wouldn't choose for any of my children to be gay. If they are then I will love them no matter what, but if it were up to me, if there was something I could do to prevent it, I would.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 7:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• im prego right now
    my hubby used to be very homophobic until he met my uncle, who is gay, he had no idea...LOL well after meeting my uncle his perception on gays changed
    so now im preg with a boy and we talk about all the sports we want to put him in, and when he gets older and dates...etc.
    well I brought up, well what if he's gay and doesnt like girls? He said "I hope he trusts me enough to tell me and I'm going to love him the same" which really made me happy because im so for the gays...I mean I hit up that gayy parade in SF every frikkin year...LOL
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I'd love my son no matter what he chooses!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• NO IM AFRAID OF WHAT A CLOSED MINDED PERSON OR AN IGNORANT PERSON WOULD DO TO HIM/HER..SUCH AS HATE CRIMES...THERES SOME FUCKED UP PEOPLE OUT THERE.MY FRIEND JUST CAME OUT TO HIS DAD TODAY..AND HE IS NOT HAPPY!
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 7:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I will support my children 100% in anything that they decide to pursue in life(except of course illegal things).I love my kids and i want them to be happy and comfortable with themselves,not do what other people("society") thinks is best for them!
    rita-jo

Answer by rita-jo at 7:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My children are adults. I would be concerned because I am concerned. Of course I would still love them. Life is harder for gay men. I don't want them to have to have life any harder than it already is.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Geala no parent wants their child to struggle. But no child wants their parents to abandon them either just for being gay.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 7:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• MY FRIEND JUST CAME OUT TO HIS DAD TODAY..AND HE IS NOT HAPPY!

Are you happy being straight? I mean come on being gay or straight has nothing to do with being happy or even comfortable. Why should someone be something they're not just to make someone else feel comfortable.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2009