Which baby carrier should I invest in?

Slings/wraps I am SO confused! I know it will be helpful since my newborn loves to be against me at all times. I have back pains a lot so I'd like one that is easy on the back, she only weighs 8 pounds (she's a month old) so I would like something that will cradle her, I am nursing her- so maybe something that is compatible with breastfeeding & since they are pretty pricey I'd like something that she can use for a little while :) Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

ClaudieOct3rd

Asked by ClaudieOct3rd at 7:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I like slings like the New Native. I made my own 30 years ago and used it for my 3 sons and now my grandson. If you can sew there are directions for several different kinds online.

You might want to go to www.mothering.com discussion boards. The mothers there are more into attachment parenting.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• a wrap.

had every kind for the first two and they hated them all. got a wrap for #3 and WOW! amazing! I still wear her and she's 3.

www.mamatoto.org is a great babywearing site.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Ergo
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• a wrap is easier on your back and shoulders i have a moby rap and a baby go carrier i hate the carrier but use it because it takes less time to put on
    t_creanskisa

Answer by t_creanskisa at 8:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• ERGO!
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 10:33 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• An Ergo is longer-lasting (using mine on the same child for 4 years now), well-built and durable, good on your back (supports baby's weight at your hips)...
    I have been using my Ergo for a long time and it's been awesome!
    I did use pouch slings, too. I like the New Native that Gaill mentioned, it was good for me. But the Ergo was so great for me!
    I have used a lot of carriers, never really liked nursing while baby was IN one, though.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Ergo is a great option. A wrap like a Moby would be good for your back. I just didn't like how long it was and how much time it took so I use a hotsling.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:05 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I use a sleepy wrap with my three month old and LOVE it! Its so comfy and he loves being close to me but still able to see everything. Its also great for cold weather because it helps him steal my body heat. This is the third kind of carrier/wrap/sling Ive had and its by far the best and most comfortable. It also only cost about $30 so its pretty affordable in comparison to others out there. My neice is a year old and 27ish lbs and she still get toted all over the place in hers. I highly recommend it! If you have a baby boutique near you, you should be able to try them on with your baby so thats an idea too.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 2:34 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• an ergo and a ring sling :)
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 9:59 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• My personal fave is a wrap because it's so versatile and good from birth to toddler.  But there's a really good article about the pros and cons of each kind of carrier here: http://www.lullabybabycarriers.com/blog/comparing-baby-carriers/. 

sdstaples

Answer by sdstaples at 1:23 PM on Nov. 7, 2009