repost

so last thanksgiving was the first time I met hubbys whole family. well I didnt get the hospitality he said would be there. instead no one introduced themselves to me and they gave me rude looks. I took it uppon myself, while hubby ran to the store, to go around and meet EVERY1. They were wll very short with me and when hubby got back still didnt talk to me.
So i got to be really quiet because I felt like no one liked me and I didnt know why. Quietness is my defense mechanism I guess, any1 who knows me knows im only quiet when im very uncomfortable

we have seen them all again on occasion and still, they dont talk to me, i just play babysitter for their kids.
we'll be going to see them after thanksgiving this year
they said i was a bitch,snooty, too quiet, and secretive

how do i get them to like me?
how do i let my baby have a relationship with ppl who dont even like me?
I dont know, :(

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 7:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• I am quiet, especially around people I don't know. My DH's family said the same things about me. It bothered me at first, but those who got to know me realize how wrong they were.  Give them time to get to know you. Those that take the time will be worth building a relationship with.  You'll always have those that like to talk about you, I say at least they're giving someone else a break. :o)  

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• OI THATS A HARD ONE..i guess to like the main people like mil or dil or bil/sil you could go up to them one on one and explain to them how you feel about your relationship (which isnt so great obviously) and ask if their is something keeping you from having a good relationship or if you guys could go for lunch or something to get to know eachother..also let it be known how much you love your husband and how important it is for you and your children to have a good relationship with their family =]]
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 8:00 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Been there. My husband's family never liked me. They were glad when my husband divorced me. I never did anything wrong. In my case I wasn't their religion. They were actually nicer to me after we divorced!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• is this extended family or close family? If its close family maybe they have something against you for not getting to meet you before you married
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I dont have a MIL or FIL...his mom died and he never knew his father
    his older brother doesnt like me at all because, well we lived in a small studio for a while, really struggling students....ate top ramen every day, just had milk in the fridge and we didnt even have a bed

his bro asked me if he could stay the night, 2days 1night, and I said I would ask my mom if he could stayat her house since we dont have anything. I thought I was being nice because theres a lot to do at my moms and he'd at least have food to eat, which at the time is where me and hubby were a lot anyway cuz we didnt have food, instead he took it as me being mean and not letting him stay the weekend...

But as far as his younger siblings go, he has an 18yr bro and 13yr sis and they love me
    its everyone else, which is his older brother and all of his cousins...
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2009