Anyone know or have a way of keeping Legos stored, easy to get to and play with and keep organized?

I'm drowning in, cutting my feet on lego mines mytow sons have made a daily effort to place in every room possible and never can find the one they want to use since they are always trown all over the house. If you came by i gaurantee you will find legos in my couch, all over my living room and a few in random places in the kitchen. The play room had a floor at one pont I think... it's beeen so long since I have been able to keep the little enery bubbling lego loving kids ta thave turned our home into a childs playhouse. what do ? Did I ruin my chance of having an home enviroment that is clean enough anyway without the toys everywhere. I clean up every week or so but end up really upset when an hour later it is back to the way they had trashed I before. What do would you do ? Or any ideas or suggestions to have both a home that is inviting and clean but also kid friendly? Send me a reply! Friend Request! Or comment

KTidwell333

Asked by KTidwell333 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• We have a large plastic tote for legos...works great!
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 7:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• We had a large tote but also storage bins on a rack so each bin could have a different color. I feel your pain .Funny how many times a piece would come up missing...oops is that what I ran over with the vac??LOL!
    momofne

Answer by momofne at 8:06 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• we have large clear plastic organizers for all his 'small' toys...one each for legos, trains/tracks(one for geotracks- one for thomas tracks), cars/trucks, rockets/space accessories, crayons/markers/coloring books/papers. we have a 3-drawer plastic organizer that holds playdough/accessories, paints, pixos-paperonis..each craft has its own drawer.
    when things aren't being played with, the organizers/totes stack easily in the closet, or on a shelf, out of the way. we have a small entertainment center that holds his tv/v-smile, books/videos, and a few odds and ends toys (happy meal toys, etc) in a basket inside the cabinet of the center.
    this all works out in his small bedroom. plus, at 4 1/2, he knows that when he is finished playing with something, they go back into their holding place, before he gets anything else out. this keeps the legos/tracks/cars/etc out of the way, and from staying scattered on the floor.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:08 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I use clear plastic totes of varying sizes for all toys legos to Barbie..potato Head to dress up. I also have a hard and fast rule. ALL toys must be picked up and put away where they belong before supper every single day. I also have a rule of no more than two bins open at a time. After supper we do baths and PJs. After supper only books and puzzles are allowed out. Sometimes a movie. You can start. One day massive organize party. Then tell them the rules..and tell them the consequences and follow through. My g-children learned just like my boys did..that I mean business. Also, when I take a toy..or bin away. I never put it out of sight..only out of reach. Out of sight is too easy for them to forget. I want them to see them and want them. It reinforces the rules.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Keep plastic shoe boxes with lids in every room. You can buy them at the dollar store and it's easy to keep them out of sight when not in use.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 8:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• We keep Legos in a Lego bin. They are all mixed up though. We just pour them all out at playtime, and make sure to clean them all up when play is finished.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I was planning on getting a drawer set for scrapbooking...the kind that has 12x12 drawers that are shallow so the blocks could be divided up and easily searched. But we haven't gotten around to it.
    Instead most of them are in a huge 15 gallon tub and the smaller unique pieces are in shoeboxes all jumbled together.

We have so many legos I don't know what to do with all of them. But, luckily, we have hardwood so when they are left all over they are easy to just sweep over to the box and scoop up. They are about the only toy the kids actually play with but I had to take them away because my son was refusing to keep them picked up.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:49 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Clear plastic containers that have lids of them. Also, I have a rule...if I step on a Lego, I take them all away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• This is a great question -- and these are awesome answers!! I'm going to take the last advice -- If I step on a lego, I take them all away!

Love it!!
    CA_Mom_of_2boys

Answer by CA_Mom_of_2boys at 10:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I have one of those plastic drawer things you can buy at any store and they come in sizes from 3 drawers to 8 drawers...they have casters to wheel from room to room....perfect for legos!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2009