nursing while driving...

ok so i know you're not supposed to take the baby out of their car seat. which is fine, i completely understand why. but when you are traveling and your baby won't take a bottle (not even pumped milk) and you can't afford to stop for an hour so she can eat...what do u do?

excited2bemommy

Asked by excited2bemommy at 8:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used to sit next to my kids in the backseat and nurse them-while they were in their seats. My hubby even tinted the back windows dark so people could not see in. I perfected the method so it was easy on me, baby got to eat and we got to keep driving. But if it was only me in the car with a crying hungry baby...I stopped and nursed them enough to get to where we were going. Always nurse just before you leave and you can get farther.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• You pull over and feed your baby. Nothing is more important than the safety of your baby.
    Anonymous

• Stop and let them eat. There really is no way around it
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:06 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I had a friend who actually was able to bend herself in a horribly uncomfortable position to allow the baby to nurse while still in his seat and still driving.

She only did it once or twice b/c she had too.

Anonymous

• Stop anyways; you have to feed your baby AND keep your baby safe. Pull over and breast feed DO NOT take your baby out of the seat while driving. Wouldn't you rather spend however many minutes feeding your baby than taking the chance of your baby dying in a car accident. Accidents happen all the time; pull over to feed baby.
    Anonymous

• Or the safety of other drivers.

You have to work bf into your driving plans. Leave an hour or two early. Problem solved.
    Anonymous

• Oh I meant she did that while her dh was driving....lol I hope that was assumed. LOL!
    Anonymous

• Stop and suck it up. The safety & needed nutrition of the baby comes first.  Sorry I don't have a better answer for you but you are just going to have to include feeding baby into your trip no matter what.  Been there, done that and some days we didn't get very far but others went perfectly.

Anonymous

• well i would sit in the back with hubby driving and i would lean over my baby and let her nnurse, worked thuis way for me.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Absolutely 100% unacceptable, no excuses. Zero. None. Pull the frick over. And, if you're bottle feeding, pull over to do that, too. If you're driving, you need to drive, not multitask.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2009