drink a beer to go into labor... what???

i've been told by several people (none in the medical field) to try drinking a beer to start labor.
i am a few days past my due date and haven't tried it but wanted to know your thoughts... thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• LOL don't drink a beer! Even if it made you go into labor, which I doubt, your baby would come out drunk! lol
    Anonymous

• no dont do it, if something is wrong with the way the baby is acting they will run every test possible and then you'll have an awful start into motherhood, ppl will be watching you like a hawk. i recommend getting induced before you do that. please dont
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Oh, that's just as bad as what my mother in law was told- "drink a beer before you nurse it'll help with the let down"...she told me what she was told and I just started laughing hysterically. It was awkward.
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• No, it's for the opposite: alcohol relaxes muscles. It will calm the uterus out of ealy/pre labor contracting... possibly. It can slow things down.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Just try relaxing. I'm sure you've heard the baby will come when its time. Your due date is actually the first day of your 40th week. There's no rush really. I know its tough. I'll be 37 weeks on sunday.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I have absolutely never heard that. alcohol is a depressant- its not going to bring on labor. I know its hard in the final days, especially when you're past due. but you are currently experiencing a level of peace and restfulness that you will not feel again for another year or more. Do something pampering for yourself instead of stressing yourself out willing labor. You really don't want to do anything illogical to bring on that labor unaturally. There are too many unsafe ideas out there. It sounds like you have a good instict and you should totally keep trusting it.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• no. a beer would help relax you and if you were having ctx, it could help relax you enough that the ctx would stop. that's the theory i've heard.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• It wont harm the baby anymore than the drugs that a lot of mothers take during labor but it wont start labor.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:07 AM on Nov. 7, 2009