ready to pull my hair out!!!

my three year old is being crazy! she has been getting into everything. i just caught her with both tubes of toothpast painting her bed. i had to get rid of her and her sisters bunk beds because i thought she would fall and break herself but she still climbs on everything. she takes the babies highchair to get to the top of the fridge, she takes my lotions out of my room and hides them in hers untill she thinks im not looking. she painted her toy box with my nail pollish 3 days ago. how do i make her understand she cant do whatever she wants? my older daughter did this kind of stuff but on occation, not on a constant basis. i think it has something to do with the new baby but i cant take it anymore! help!

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 9:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Your child sounds very intelligent and what an explorer! Did you know some of the most creative minds in our history were hard to manage children? Their mother's wanted to pull their hair out too. It is time to get just as creative as her. If you can't beat them...join them. Of course you discipline. I have a pet peeve when others assume it is a lack of common sense. Like duh you just allow your child to go around with a bottle of nail polish and hope nothing happens. Do child proof your house with her specific personality in mind. I wouldn't invest in nice furniture yet if I were you. I would proof the home with friends and create places where she can be a little more free. I know parents who have a coloring wall in their child's room, ladders to safely climb on in their child's room, and other things keep destruction and disaster to a minimum. Hide the safety scissors and know you will have to do some creative

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:50 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• You need to get a lock box or put things up where she really can't get tot hem. If you think it has to do with the baby, then maybe spending some extra time with her alone will help her realize that you love her just as much, and didn't forget about her. I'm assuming time outs don't work, so maybe you can either start taking away things she likes or start her on a sticker chart for good behaviour. Set up easy goals for her, and reward with a sticker when she follows through. When she gets 5 stickers, then reward her with extra special time with you, or something she really likes.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• DISCIPLINE, consistant discipline!
    Anonymous

• Sounds like some good old acting out for attention. I don't know the situation but she is doing things that will obviously get your attention and time to clean up. You need to start by talking to her and figuring out why, also put up anything she is not suppose to be into.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 11:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Could be a cry for attention or maybe she is trying to express herself.
    Spend a few moments a day with just her, reading, baking, sitting on the floor playing with toys. Let her see that good attention is better then bad attention. Also get some wonder paint and paper and allow her to express herself in a way that could be put up on the fridge/wall and praised.
    iwannababygirl

Answer by iwannababygirl at 11:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• aw I know you are pulling your hair out But that story was funny! LOL sorry my daughter does this type of stuff which her brother NEVER did so at 2 I was pulling my hair out with her! She is almost 5 now. My daughter is extremely creative....We talk to her alot about what she does and try to do one on one time but its hard with three kids, her dad works alot and I go to school FT. She is better now but still has her moments!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:51 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Time to child proof better. These things should not be in her reach.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 7:39 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• parenting. What that looks like is up to you. It may mean your daughter decorates her dresser (with your guidance and permission) with her favorite stickers and art work/graffiti. It may mean your playroom has a rope for her to climb and swing on hanging down from the ceiling.  Create her space fit for her personality, proof the home, and come up with some consequences she will not like.  There are many parenting books in the library on parenting the spirited child and consequences when we want to teach them to make better choices.  Reading some of those might give you more ideas about her needs.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2009