Should I be racist?

I can have never met a nice "white" person!!!! All my life they have been nothing but mean, and hateful towards me and others(from what I have seen). I've been spit at, called a racial slur, have been followed in stores, the cops where called on my family member for "steeling" his own car in a prodomantly"white" neighborhood, my uncle and I have been harrassed at the movies b/c some older white ladie thought that my uncle didnt pay, I've been threatened, beat in the face for sitting at the "white" table, and the list goes on! I keep saying to myself that not all white ppl are the same, but no one has proven that yet. I've chatted with them online and it was pretty normal - no hate. But I just havent personally met one. Of cousre these things makes me have a negative opinion of the majority but IDK. Should I be racist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, you shouldn't be a racist.....Could you be leary and cautious of another race due to your own personal experiences? Sure. But SHOULD you be racist? No.

If you were a racist you would be no better than the people that have mistreated you. Why would you want to be like them? You have suffered due to racism to do so to others in turn would just perpetuate the hate and ignorance. Continue to treat others, regardless of color, how you would like to be treated.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:30 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• being white i feel really badly that people treat you badly enough to consider the idea that it is all white people. you know i think its all about how each person is raised to be. i guess if you grow up with racism that is what you will know. i for one was raised to believe that we ae all just as important or valuable as the next person.

Anonymous

• Not one white person? Not a single one? I'm not saying this isn't true but I'm guessing you don't have white friends. White coworkers? That every single one of them abuses you? Each person, in my opinion, should be judged on the merit of their own character. I am raising a black child. I certainly know there are people in this world who will treat him badly because of the color of his skin. It is a very hard thing to know he is growing up in a world that doesn't value him as much as someone who is white. This doesn't mean every white person (including his parents) are bad people. It means we have a long way to go. MLK is my hero and find inspiration in many of the unsung heroes of the civil rights movement (including many of our white brothers and sisters who took an active role) and those people who continue to advocate, educate, and raise awareness. Find strength in diversity AND pride in your culture/heritage.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• And are you racisit? No. Maybe limited in postive experience and realistic in your need to be cautious.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:33 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• i know i'm a bit naive because it's not an issue for me and i assume that it isnt an issue for other people but i can't believe these things are happening to you in this day...where on earth do you live?!?! because you should move!! if people are so stupid and ignorant there, than you shouldnt waste your time there...i realize that sounds a little like "run you out of town" but thats not what i mean.

to answer your question, i think it's logical that you would be prejudice against the people you've met who treat you like this but lumping all "white" people into a negative category is just mimicing what you hate about the people that treat you with such disrespect.

i'm sorry these things happen to you and i wish i could take all the stupid out of people or at least segregate THEM...attention stupid people: please sit in the "remove your head from your a** section" of the restaurant.
    Anonymous

• HOLY SHIT. Where do you live? That is really ridiculous! I don't know anyone who would treat ANYONE that way, and I grew up in the former KKK central of America (seriously, the middle school used to be the headquarters and there are tunnels and trap doors and stuff in there). That is really awful and I'm so SO sorry you have had to deal with that.

*hugs* I hope things get better for you. No one should have to live like that :( I honestly didn't think that level of racism still existed in the US.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• i couldnt have said it more beautifully myself Windy!

OP where do you live? some places are less friendly...you havent met every white person in the world, until you do keep being the bigger person. its not easy but if you become racist you will be just as ignorant & disgusting as those who have been racist towards you & yours.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I live in Ga. Just about anything goes on in this state. I onced worked at a fastfood resuarant and was working third shift drive thru (when I was in high school) and these three "white" ppl where in this really high sitting truck. Anyway they came back around the drive thru and complained that their food wasnt made right AT ALL. So I took it back and retook their order and gave it to them, well it was wrong again so they drove back around and started asking me, "hey ____ can you read?" they were tryingto show me the reciept that said something about no pickles(whatever). I told them that I dont make the food,I just take the order and they werent hearing it. Anyway they thru the food at me and trash thru the window. I got their plates and called the cops. When they came they said it was nothing they could do, even with the info n details I gave. So to answer the question NO I HAVENT "met" a nice "white"person, but I want to.
    Anonymous

• Nobody SHOULD be racist. I can't believe you've never met a nice white person in real life, that's really sad. Where do you live? What is your race?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 9:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I am so sorry. I don't know what race you are because you didn't specify, but it doesn't matter. You are a precious child of God. And you should never be treated like that. Never.

It makes me angry to hear your story. I don't know where you live, but it sounds toxic. You should move someplace nice. There are lots of very nice white people who will love you because of who you are, not in spite of it.

I wish I could give you a big hug, and send your whole town to the show Bully Beatdown.

Love ya.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2009