What's more important grades or learning?

Would you prefer your child be in a class with easy work and make top grades, or be in a more challenging class where he or she is exposed to more difficult and higher level content where they might earn Bs.

MAUREEN55

Asked by MAUREEN55 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• id rather her have a challenge in learning,,,that way if she is getting good grades i know that shes learnign and she can handle a challenge,,
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 9:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I homeschool, but I want mine to be able to completely understand the work they are doing. If they truly get it, the good grades should follow.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• having struggled my whole life in school, i would much rather she be in the easy class with good grades
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I thought learning and grades where the same thing in school. You learn and get grades for it. I do not want schoold to be so tough that my child feels stupid.

Answer by louise2 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I would go with the challenging work and B grades, rather than easy work and A grades. I am sick of having to deal with kids getting out of high school that are dumber than a box of rocks because they aren't challenged. Too many kids get the easy way out of life. Let's challenge our kids instead of making life easier for them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• LEARNING!
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 10:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I am considering homeschooling my oldest son, just for this reason. His grades are high, but I don't think he is being challenged at all. He is only in first grade. I would think that the learning process is the most important.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 2:08 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I think they should be challenged but stillwith learning get the good grades.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:17 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Learning and grades are not necessarily the same things. You can study for tests but then forget the material. Children retain information and learn in many different ways. I think it is important for me to understand how my child learns best and do all I can to support his best styles of learning. I send him to a private school where they do not give grades but do monitor and evaluate how much he has learned. We can see he is learning. It isn't your traditional classroom but I can see he is having fun and truly enjoys the process of taking in knew information and then sharing his newly acquired information with everyone around him.  I don't think he would do as well in a traditional setting where he would loose his independence and ability to explore the subjects he is most interested in.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:38 AM on Nov. 7, 2009