What do you do when your one and a half year old discovers his privates

ridesallyride

Asked by ridesallyride at 9:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You let him experiement. Why does it concern you?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My son has started to crouch over when he gets out of the bath and closely examines himself (and plays with his penis.) I say "Yes honey, that is your penis. It is yours and you can do what you want with it. Pee pees come out of it." I let him explore for 1-2 minutes and then encourage him to get his pajamas on.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• You do nothing. It's completely natural.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Absolutly nothing! It's completly normal but I have started telling my son when he wants to pull it out in public that his privates are prvate n noone wants to see him touch himself when people r around of course he doesn't really understand yet but he will
    Anonymous

• As others have said, it's not a big deal.

When he gets a little older, or if he still seems intently interested in a couple of months, just keep telling him that his penis is something he touches when he's alone. Like, at night in his room, and then as he gets older, in the bath/shower. etc.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Oh, Oh... I know this one.....

You run to the nearest computer and inform everyone in the entire world that your son is HUMAN~!!!!slap

Anonymous

• I tell my boys if they want to look or play with their privates they need to go in their room and close the door.
    liz1986

Answer by liz1986 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• That area of the body is always covered up by a diaper of corse he's going to want to account for all his body parts. How weird would it be if he never wondered about it. I'm sure this is TMI but when I was like 5 I used a mirror to watch myself poop....just wanted to see how everything came out.lol
    Anonymous

• Same here liz, they can do that in private not around me. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• It's natural and you let him explore. However, if he's doing it in public, or out in the open you ask him "Do you need some alone time?" Never discourage him from doing it by repremanding the bahaviour. As you don't want him being ashamed or feeling as though he's doing something wrong. It's natural and it's okay for him to be curious about his body. But just gently let him know that, that type of behaviour isn't appropriate in public. That it needs to be done in private. Let him have his alone time when he needs to, but it's okay that he's curious.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2009