I found a lump in my breast today, please give me your advice.

It's about a half an inch long and isn't very thin width wise. If I could pick something to compare it to I guess I'd pick a bean? It's sore as well. Anyway I never wear low cut shirts, so I don't know if I just noticed it because I decided to put on a "cleavage" shirt today or if it recently formed. I don't have health insurance so I'd like whatever advice any of you can give me. Also, is there any place that will check it out for me? I'm hoping it's a cyst but I don't know anything about this, I'm only 19.

ours

Asked by ours at 10:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Health

• Do you have a Health Department in your City or a free/Low income clinic you could go to?? I hope it is nothing.

Answer by louise2 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I don't know. I'm trying to find out that right now. Does anyone know the differences in symptoms for a benign cyst and something that could be cancerous?
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Are you nursing? It could be a plugged duct. And if it's not 80% of breast lumps are benign. It's still worth getting it checked out, though, if it doesn't go away in a week or two.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Some places have free breast screening clinics and if there is one in your area, book an appointment as your doctor would almost certainly send you for a mammogram anyway. Lumps should always be checked out, but they are often benign. . I have benign lumps but I had one removed as it was large. I go for frequent check-ups at the clinic .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• When you touch it does it move around freely or is it firmly stuck in there? If it moves around when you touch it it probably is a cyst. Also have you tried a new deodorant lately or had a virus or infection? It might be caused by that. I tried a new deodorant once that caused lumps under my pits and on my breast. You need to get it checked out either way. Breast exams at the OBGYN I got to are $20. Ask them how much a breast exam would be if you went in today. They might even do it for free if they know you are financially unable.
    Anonymous

• Do the benign ones go away?

And no I'm not currently breast feeding even though I was for the first three months after my son was born (he's 11 months now so a while ago).
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• It could still be a milk duct issue. I know a mom who had weaned several years before and had full blown mastitis.

Benign tumors sometimes come and go with your cycle. Sometimes they don't. I have lumps all over in my breasts because that's just the way they are, and they are always there and have been since I was very young.

You're young enough that you don't have to be super worried about this. There is a VERY slim chance it is serious, but I feel confident in telling you to hang out for a while and see what happens.

Also, breastfeeding really lowers your chances of breast cancer. If you nurse for a combined 100 months out of your life your risk is reduced by EIGHTY PERCENT. That's incredible. Even one nursing session lowers your risk. Just thought I'd throw that out there for if you plan on having more chillins :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I had a BAD scare 6 months ago. They were hard and in clusters except for 2 that were big and oval. I made an appointment 2 days after. Found out that they were from Fibrocystic Breast Disease. I already knew I had this but never to this extent.......what a relieve!

Get checked, it may be cancer, it may be nothing, it may be something other then the C word.Like mine.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 10:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Oh wow, really? Well next time I plan on breastfeeding for at least 6 months, maybe more depending on how everything goes. :] Thanks everyone for the info.
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I had a problem that I believe sounds similar to yours when I was 26. I went to my local health department and they were able to refer me to our University Hospital and I had the biopsy performed--all of which was based on income so it was free for me then. My turned out to be a benign cyst but was still scary at the time. Good luck to you.
    RachaelRainer

Answer by RachaelRainer at 11:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2009