How and when can I start introduce table foods to my little girl?

I have been giving her baby food but am wondering when I can give her regular table food. I know that it has to be cut up of course but am wondering when. I have seen children that are younger than a year holding and eating things but wondering when would be a good time to start it.

Asked by lostdarkangel13 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Whenever she has a strong chew and a strong swallow. Babies naturally have a reflex that makes them PUSH food out of their mouth. Once she is done and bored with pureed and mushy foods you can start introducing more solid finger foods. She also needs to be able to pick them up by herself with her fingers. Usually between 7-10 months

Answer by sapient at 5:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I started giving my daughter those gerber finger foods... they are small like cereal and they melt in their mouth so they don't choke on them... once she was comfortable with those, she could pretty much eat ALMOST anything.

Answer by msp12r at 5:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• No solids until she passes six months and is able to sit up, pick up food, chew and swallow, and is at least teething. We waited until my daughter had one tooth and all the other developmental signs were met - around 7.5 to 8 months. Even so, she only eats about a half jar a day or less. Solid foods are for experience only in the first year - nutrition should come mainly from breastmilk.

Answer by asaffell at 5:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• when you notice she is watching you eat that is a good sign, i started my oldest at 5 months, and my youngest at 7 months (my youngest was born 2 months early though and laged a lil in the eating department, but now at 10 months, eats a jar for breakfast, 1-2 at lunch and another 1-2 at dinner, and 4, 7oz bottels of formula and 2 bottels of juice....your baby will let you know, just pay attention to her signs

Answer by 2MammaBoys at 10:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Think about this our grandparents and some parents did not have baby food use a blender or mash the food up! Gradually have it less mushy and see how she does with the food. No matter the age your child will tell you when she or he is ready just watch body action. Keep a close eye on her and you will be just fine.

• When she can eat without chocking. I gave my son mashed potatoes at 3 months. After that he wouldnt touch baby food.

Answer by fishersmom06 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2008